My next photoshoot - Smoke bombs, lots of them!

In New Zealand fireworks can only be purchased 4 days of the year around Guy Fawkes - I don't care much for the noisy ones but I love
the coloured smoke bombs occasionally. Lately I've been using my insect fogger quite a bit because I feel that the white smoke looks
more natural so is more useful in photos and videos. But this year I decided that I needed to stock up, especially since many people
are looking for these coloured smoke bombs during the year for weddings and other photo-shoots, so of course I could make a little profit
when selling them to fund my fair share of 'free' smoke bombs. I have a shoot planned for this weekend - open to suggestions and ideas.
of course I won't be using all 180 packs :D

aDSC_6294.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Today I chose a location for tomorrow's shoot - a walkway surrounded by trees that block the wind nicely, and hold the smoke.

Desmond,
have you ever considered making your own smoke bombs, since they are only sold a couple days a year?
I have made several batches - and have the reminder on my garage door from the one mix that took off like a rocket when I was cooking a few litres of molten wax and potassium nitrate/sugar in the garage.

But of course it is possible to do it safely and get decent results - I'm just unsure of the safety aspect of burning various colour dyes and breathing them in. I understand that it isn't a good idea to breathe any coloured smoke in but imagine the manufacturers know the safest stuff to use.
There's also aspect of not having any 'fuses' to light them with and trying to make it a reliable system.
That makes it more practical to buy the commercial product and sell some of it off at double the price to fund my experiments :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom