My offering in honor of Gordon

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Oct 30, 2005.

1. A little late to the party but here are a few I managed to capture yesterday at Viera with Harris, Mary, Gale and Harry. It was one of the most perfect weather days (at least in the beginning) that I've seen yet. The only problem we had were the landscaping guys who decided the wetlands needed mowing! Of course it did work to our advantage a couple of times as they scared the birds to fly in our direction a few times. :smile:

I'll post some that I haven't seen the others post yet, and a few dupes.

Great Blue Heron (the Mayor) in flight:
    [​IMG]

A Greenie:
    [​IMG]

A juvenile Little Blue Heron in flight:
    [​IMG]

I've been trying for a few weeks to get a decent Glossy Ibis, in flight or not. I think their colors are fascinating but difficult to capture. Yesterday I had pretty good luck:
    [​IMG]

A Tricolored Heron fishing (yes, he got a fish but missed the flip :redface: )
    [​IMG]

The same Hawk as Harris showed but from earlier in the day:
    [​IMG]

And my meager Eagle shot (curse that darn crow for scaring him off)
    [​IMG]

I got to play with Harry's 500mm + 1.4x. Man, oh man...... :eek: I'll post those later.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,
    I'm so jealous! I wish Patrick and I could get down there for some shooting like that! All great shots, but the Hawk was my favorite!

3. Hi Kevin,

That glossy in-flight is spectacular!!

Bob & Nan

4. I too think that the Gossy in flight is spectacular. These are relly VERY good!
    Dave

5. Kevin, these are just great. Another wonderful series. I love looking at all the fine images you and the others got on your outing. Sure wish we would have had your weather here yesterday.

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Kevin -

Thanks for joining the parade of well-wishers! Love your shots, but the one that impresses me the most is the black ibis. I've never even come close to capturing the colors hidden in the black, but they really stand out in your image. BTW, if you are very nice I'll let you play with my 200-400 with 1.7x on it. It's right out there with Harry.

Gordon

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shots Kevin. Your pics just keep improving. It was a lot of fun to shoot with ya.

Did you ever make it to the Orlando Wetlands?

8. Looks like you had a great day, sweet shots they are!!

9. Hi Leigh, yeah, we really have it good down here. Viera is such a special place. I've yet to find anything that rivals it. So much to offer in such a compact place.

Hope you and Patrick can come down for Merritt III. I know it'll be a blast and it's always nice to shoot with people who share the passion.

10. Hi Bob & Dave,
    Thanks for the comments on the Glossy! They've always been very skittish and take off before you can get very close. Yesterday, the guys were cutting the grass which chased them in our direction. It was annoying but worked out to our advantage! :)

11. Yeah, we were really lucky yesterday with the weather. One of the prettiest days we've had yet. Until Harris' luck ran out and it got overcast for an hour or two! :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Kevin, just excellent.

The glossy is a hard one to get the colors for sure. Good job.

Eagle and Hawk are great...

I do believe that is a juv tri-color. Thought my camera was making up colors.
    Then realized they were brown as babies. (and ugly) lol

turned out to be a good shootin day after all, with that darn crow and black cloud that followed us around. :>))

fun day fun day.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

I've run out of superlatives. You guys are so lucky to have such a wonderful place to shoot. OTOH, the shots don't take themselves. You did an excellent job on these. :wink:

I'm so jealous. :eek:

14. Kevin,

You and Harry B are killing me. If I never was in Viera, I can bear the pain but sadly, it's not the case. :Dizzy:.

Beauties, beauties!!!!!

I'm waiting for Harris to put me down for good!!!!:biggrin:

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great Kevin all of them
    Man you guys must of had a blast, and the images you brought home are like icing on the cake.

One complaint............ you put Mr. Eagle last !!! :biggrin:

16. Thanks, Gordon! I'd be happy to give the 200-400 a whirl! I've really been developing a fond appreciate for this high-end glass. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments on the Ibis!

17. Likewise, Harry! I had a blast. So happy the eagle made an appearance, even if it was brief! Thanks for the kind words, too!!

Yes, I did trek out to the Orlando Wetlands after I left Viera. Once I got there, I found out they closed Oct 1st! They'll remain closed until Jan 21st!! What's up with that??

So I left there and checked out the Tosohatchee State Park between SR50 and the Beeline. Costs to get in and most of it was closed due to flooding. It's probably not the kind of place that would be fruitful for our adventures but it was ok. Maybe I'll try it again once things dry out and see what it's like. It extends all the way out to the St Johns River which I thought would be a goldmine but I couldn't make it all the way out. :mad:

18. RedFox

RedFox Guest

Nice shots, Kevin! Would you mind telling me what font and size you're using for your copyright logo? That looks very classy. I just received CS2 in the post and hope to be "in business" doing my copyright later this afternoon. I only have about 40,000 shots to apply it to, LOL.

Thanks, MaryE

19. Hi Mary and thanks for the kind words!

I googled around quite a bit but found a few websites that offer free downloadable fonts. The one I'm currently using is called 'killigraphy'. It doesn't have a © symbol so it's a pia to switch to Arial for that then switch back to killigraphy for the text. I should just create an image of it then just add it to the project but haven't yet. As for size, I typically am around 16 or 18-ish

I just found the link for the downloadable font:
    killigraphy

20. RedFox

RedFox Guest

Thanks ever so much, Kevin. Now adding my copyright to photos will be easier to accomplish. All the best. MaryE.