My old 300 f4 AF with the D300

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I am liking this combo. The extra pixels and the AF fine tuning are giving better results than I was getting with the D50/300AF.

Volunteer sunflower in the garden...
    2817348911_852c812c71_o.

Hummingbird guarding it's territory...
    View attachment 246731

If the minimum focus was a little closer, it would be perfect for me. I guess that's another plus for the AFS version.

2. Nice shots!

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice stuff, I can remember looking at your 300/4 shots when I was thinking about buying one myself.

4. Thanks guys.

5. nice..
    Exactly which lens is that?

How about a link to the lens somewhere?

Don

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
  7. Thanks, Robert, for the link. I have been offline for a little while and didn't see Don's question.

Don, it an older version than the current 300 F4 AF-S. Unlike the AF-S, it requires a motor in the body for autofocus, and does not focus as close as the newer AF-S. About 8 - 9 feet compared to 4.5 - 5 feet for the AFS version. It does have what some claim to be a sturdier tripod foot. Takes 82mm front filter or a 39mm drop-in filter in the rear. I don't use any filter with it. It can be readily found on the used market for around 50 - 60% of the price of the AF-S model.

8. Hey Tom -

Nice work here. As for the closer focus issue, just put an extension tube on that bad boy . . .

Eric

9. Thanks for the comments. I have used tubes before with the D50. Since I got the D300, it will be much easier. With the D50, I lost metering and AF. Just have Nikon non-af tubes.

10. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Tom,

Nice image. It is amazing how well some of the older glass works on the new cameras.

If you want to get a bit closer, try the Kenko extension tube set. I use them with my old 80-200mm F2.8 that is an AF lens. They work great and will give you that closeness that you are looking for. These also work well with the AFS lenses so it is a great choice.

I usually use the 10mm and sometimes the 20mm on my 80-200mm and that gives me what I am looking for. I do have the Nikon tubes also, but being able to autofocus is very nice.

Have fun,
    Larry

11. Thanks, Larry. Are you satisfied with the build quality of the Kenko tubes? I have read comments saying they are a little weak when using heavy glass, and sometimes develop contact problems as they flex.

12. Very nice shots Tom...

13. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Tom, I hadn't noticed this thread until I got your note. I agree -- this hummer is better than the other one. Focus seems to be better on this one.

14. Thanks, Roy. I appreciate your kind words.

Yes, I think focus is better, also. This one was sitting still, while the one in the Collective shoot was flitting around, making focus a little more difficult.

15. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Tom,

On the build quality on the Kenko tubes, they are ok. I like the feel of the Nikon tubes much more. but the Kenko ones seem to work fine. I don't stack them because I don't trust them a lot, but that is probably me more than the tubes. I have not found a need to stack them either.

Being able to autofocus really helps a lot. Since I bought these I have not used the Nikon set so that shows my preference.

Have fun,
    Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.