My old Ai 50mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Today I took some pictures for a "last in series" thread: ( https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57897 ).

While being at it, I tried a few shots with my old manual focus Nikkor Ai 50mm f/1.4 (use it on my FM).
    Wow, this thing performs on my D1x :cool: :cool:

Shot at f/4 - 3.0 sec.:

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nothing wrong with that lens. Great job again.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Lovely shot - and that is a very impressive lens. Be careful and try not to get hooked on those older lenses. There are some wonderful opportunities out there with AI /AIS lenses, just check through this forum where we have samples of the 55/2.8 micro, 105/2.5 and 1.8, 135/2.8 and so on.

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Why is that?

While not all old lenses may be desireable for use on a DSLR, many still present you with a unique blend of performance and individuality often lacking in modern designs. You can do worse than learning the behaviour of any such old-timer, and put its characteristic response to good use for taking pictures. Using a manual lens slows you down too and this might actually be an asset for your photography.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Bjørn :

Amen to that !

While I greatly enjoy AF ability with the newer lenses, shooting in manual focus mode with those, or with an older manual lens accords me the opportunity to think about what I'm shooting, a valuable asset compared with simply blazing away until the buffer fills and empties to shoot again. While there are some circumstances with wildlife where speed is essential, for the most part, taking the time to consider the tableau presented to me then assessing clearly and soberly what I want to capture is far more important.

As for using the older lenses, there are simply going to be some lenses that are not exactly duplicated in today's "modern" equipment, and I'm well more than willing to take an extra few seconds or minutes to use that lovely glass for my shooting.

If I just wanted to shoot as fast as possible, I'm probably using the wrong equipment entirely, anyway.

John P.

7. Bjorn, just another Amen to add. I've recently picked up some manual lenses and although I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to photography in general........I've grown to have a fond appreciation for some of the older manual prime lenses. I've found (as you have pointed out) the entire photo acquisition process has slowed down.......and has allowed some "thought" to actually enter the process. Again, this is just me...... Sometimes this works and sometimes not, but it really gives me some time to consider other options as I view a scene or subject.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for sharing this picture, Frits. The house looks really nice.

I have also one of these old 50mm 1.4 AIS (I believe it's the AIS and not the AI, but didn't bother to check the exact difference). I'm also very happy with the results, and I fully agree with what Bjorn says. For me it's definitely an asset to start turning on my mind instead of keeping the shutter release pressed.