My ongoing Nikon D5100 review

Howdy,
haven't been at the cafe for a while.

In case some are interested, I put some of my first experiences with the D5100 together. Rather than doing one summed up review in potentially 6 months from now, I decided to write up a sequence of posts on my blog - sharing as early as possible my knowledge and experiences with the little camera as it develops. It is less an official review, more a series of personal experiences. There are better places out there for professional reviews. 2 entries written so far, more to come.

http://nikonandye.wordpress.com/cameras/digital-bodies-consumer/nikon-d5100-review/

cheers,
Andy

Thanks for the link, Andy.
The D5100 read was informative, but I ended up skipping to the D7000 review as I'm a new D7000 owner who will not be buying a D5100.
Keep up the good work!

This is the 3rd part of this ongoing series about the D5100.

Content
  1. Covering the 2 kit lenses AFS 18-55mm and AFS 18-105mm VR
  2. Potentially more controversial is the second part in this installment. It shows the great progress sensor technology had on ISO performance in the last years. But there is more than the pure sensor to IQ in night situations. The same impediment is also there with the D7000.

Anyway, enjoy,
Andy

Just finished the next part (4):
http://nikonandye.wordpress.com/cameras/digital-bodies-consumer/nikon-d5100-review/nikon-d5100-review-page-4/

Covered topics:
Battery life
Low light AF performance considerations
Dynamic, continous shooting in low light

rgds,
Andy
This is an interesting discussion not just from the D5100 point of view. I like how you've put the camera to the test in difficult situations where you show what the three cameras can do. We put most of our energy into understanding iso performance, but don't have a solid handle on what low light does to focusing performance. Different people have made blanket statements about relative auto-focus abilities, but you've done a great job of illustrating this.

I've said for a while that any camera can get a good enough picture in good lighting (slight exaggeration, but I'm sure you understand what I mean). And, there are difficult situations that no camera can handle well. So that leaves that small cross over area where the differences show up. As you say, it's up to us to decide whether the ability to handle those edge cases is worth the extra money or not.

Thorsten

Very good review, thanks for sharing it! I wonder if the halos in the night shots are more related to the high pixel density rather than the AA filter. Ok you've shown the D3s doesn't have this issue, but that doesn't really prove it's a filter issue, as that's not the only thing different between these cameras.

Very good review, thanks for sharing it! I wonder if the halos in the night shots are more related to the high pixel density rather than the AA filter. Ok you've shown the D3s doesn't have this issue, but that doesn't really prove it's a filter issue, as that's not the only thing different between these cameras.
Thorsten,
at the end of this part, I extended the comparison to include the D90 and D300s as well which shows clearly the difference between the 2 "identical" sensors.
rgds, Andy

Thank you for the review ... especially since I am considering it vs D3100 as a go-light option ...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom