My Opinion: Tamron 28-75 f2.8 BIM

After a long time wanting a fast zoom, and not being able to afford the Nikon 24-70, I settled on getting a Tamron 28-75 2.8. I was a little scared after reading not so great things about focus speed, softness wide open, and "cheap materials".

After saying that I have had it and been using it for about three months now, and I couldn't be happier with it. Not only is it a fantastic value for the money, it suits my needs and shooting style very well.

I have the BIM version, and I dont find the focus to be too slow, although the hunting in low light is apparent, but easily solved by throwing a speedlight on the camera and using the AF assist light.

Anyways some samples...

@f4

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ollie-5 by HylerC Photography, on Flickr

@f4

Katelyn-11 by HylerC Photography, on Flickr

@f2.8

oliver by HylerC Photography, on Flickr

@f4

28-75 samples-1 by HylerC Photography, on Flickr

@f4

Ollie-3 by HylerC Photography, on Flickr

Sorry for all the animal pictures, but it cold in Chicago so thats all I have been shooting. And I shoot alot of animals anyways.

The Tamron 28-75 is known to be a very good sharp lens. I personally sold my 24-70 2.8, it was a love hate relationship but I do miss it at times. Seems like the Tamron is doing you good :)

Thanks for sharing.

I'll get this lens after I get 2 more prime lenses first.

I'm sure this is as good as the Tamron 17-50mm lens for DX cams.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Looks like the Tammy is really working well for you. I have one that I admit I simply don't use. I purchased it because at the time I couldn't afford the 24-70mm.

Now that I've seen your images, it's time to revisit the lens. Thanks for sharing these!

Nice feline and canine :biggrin:

I've gone thru two copies a BIM on D700 and loved it enough that I looked patiently for a non BIM. Both were great, sold the BIM once I scored the non-BIM.

I later acquired a 24-70 used, only kept it a week. Yes it is better, and of course much better between 24-28, but damm it is big and frankly wasn't enough better and sold it after a short stay. Sometimes I lust for the nikkor for only having a nikkor but can't complain what this 250 buck lens produces.

Now that I shoot my 24-120F4 most days, need to dig this one out more often.

Thanks for this thread ...I've been up in the air about this lens .... I'm only a amature and enjoy shooting ...I do do a little studio stuff for friends and really can't afford the nikon version *retirement you know* so as a Xmas gift I may obtain this lens this year !! thanks

Aside from being wider at 28 and a little more zoom at 75, how does this lens compare to the Nikon 35-70 2.8D? They seem to be about the same price.

Thanks for sharing.

I'll get this lens after I get 2 more prime lenses first.

I'm sure this is as good as the Tamron 17-50mm lens for DX cams.
All these were shot on DX. D200 is my only cam at the moment and I love it on there.

Nice feline and canine :biggrin:

I've gone thru two copies a BIM on D700 and loved it enough that I looked patiently for a non BIM. Both were great, sold the BIM once I scored the non-BIM.

I later acquired a 24-70 used, only kept it a week. Yes it is better, and of course much better between 24-28, but damm it is big and frankly wasn't enough better and sold it after a short stay. Sometimes I lust for the nikkor for only having a nikkor but can't complain what this 250 buck lens produces.

Now that I shoot my 24-120F4 most days, need to dig this one out more often.
Im really curious to try it on an FX camera. One of these days the budget is going to open up and am going to upgrade to full frame. That is actually the reason I bought this lens over a 17-50 lens.

Thanks for this thread ...I've been up in the air about this lens .... I'm only a amature and enjoy shooting ...I do do a little studio stuff for friends and really can't afford the nikon version *retirement you know* so as a Xmas gift I may obtain this lens this year !! thanks
I highly recommend it for portraits, I love shooting people with it.

Aside from being wider at 28 and a little more zoom at 75, how does this lens compare to the Nikon 35-70 2.8D? They seem to be about the same price.
No personal experience so someone else would have to answer that.

I have the Tamron 28-75 non-BIM and am happy with it thus far as well. I can't see the Nikon 24-70 being THAT much sharper!

I think the biggest advantage though is AF tracking in low-light and speed. This is probably why you see most wedding photographers with the Nikon 24-70 versus the Tamron 28-75.

For general use though or more posed/stationary portraits, the Tamron is excellent and a steal for the price!

Coop, hard to knock that lens with shots like those you posted. I too would love the Nikon, but man the price is a little rich for my blood. I have been considering the new Sigma, but will give the Tamy another look.

Coop, hard to knock that lens with shots like those you posted. I too would love the Nikon, but man the price is a little rich for my blood. I have been considering the new Sigma, but will give the Tamy another look.
Thanks, I'm just happy that you dont have to spend over 1000 dollars to get a piece of glass that can perform well.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom