My PC is suddenly SLOWWWW!

Here's the scoop:
Windows XP Home on an HP Pavillion a305w
1GB Ram (won't take any more)
30 GB HD
200 GB Ext HD
Not exactly state of the art, but it has always done the job. There are 10GB free on the int HD and 100 free on the ext HD. The machine is not hooked up to the Inet, and all I do on it is CS2 work and the occassional Word document.
I have been off of this computer for about a month, and now I go to PP some images and it is really slow...takes 4-5 minutes just to open a TIFF with layers, 15-20 minutes (so far) to do TLR output sharpening. Nothing else is open but one image in CS2. Tried defrag. but it says I don't need to. I don't see anything running in the background.
Any thoughts?

I run defrag whether it says to or not. If the computer was ever (even once) hooked up online, I'd run a scan for spyware/adware, as those can often slow a machine. I'd also run the Disk Cleanup (usually under Start, All Programs, Accessories, System tools), and finally, consider running a full disk scan.

Couple of things to check:

Is there a CD or DVD in the machine? Sometimes things slow down when an unreadable disc is present.

Is your hard drive spinning the whole time? Could be a drive trying to go south...

Virus unlikely if never on the internet, but still possible -- consider scanning.

CTRL+ALT+Delete....hold all three keys down. A "windows task manager" will appear.

Click on the "processes" tab. Then click on th CPU text...twice. You have now sorted all running processes with the highest % consumer at the top of the list.....what does it say?

Maybe you can check the CPU temperature too. P4s will slow down when a certain temperature is reached (depending on the BIOS setting, probably around 80C).

If you have not cleaned your intake/exhaust and CPU heatsink fans, maybe its time to do it now.

Sounds like your HD is dying.

Check with a SMART utility, how many recoverable errors (you don't see) are going on. If some sectors need to be read 10 or 100 times, things will slow down to a crawl.

Andy

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom