My Peaches

Real Name
Deborah
I haven't picked up my camera in quite a while due to severe back issues. Lately I've been re-learning my camera and bonding with my baby. Well she's mom's baby but she mine too ❤️ I'm gonna have fun taking pics of her. I'm always open to any criticism to take a better shot.

51510379954_3442dd5cc0_c_d.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice image! Welcome back to using your camera.
If you want a critique, give the subject some room to move into the scene. Here you cut off the left front foot. The orange triangle above the ear does detract from the image- 10sec correction in post.
If you can, get down to her level. Even sitting in a chair gets you lower, or with the z6 use the viewscreen and hold the camera lower near her eye level.
Enjoy the journey back!
gary

Real Name
Andy
Adding to what Gary said, I think it's almost always better to leave some open space between a subject and the direction he/she is moving or looking. Even when that is not possible (such as a German Shepherd moving towards you!) if you don't cut off any part of the body, there is always the option of extending the foreground (fairly easy to do in PhotoShop).

Real Name
Deborah
Welcome back. DId you take 1 image or a burst? When I am shooting my dog coming towards me I start when he is small in the frame and keep shooting till he is by me.
Yes I have it in burst mode, and usually pick the best one that is in focus.

I'm always trying to get a "close up", i dont know why i have that habit. I'll certainly keep that in mind next time. Thanks everyone!

I'm always trying to get a "close up", i dont know why i have that habit.
We all have a "style." If this is your style and you like it- don't change anything. Heck if we followed all the rules everyone's pictures would look the same.
There is a local wedding photographer- and she is VERY good and successful- who cuts off every person's feet, and leaves several inches of wasted space above the head. Looks like a mistake to me, but this is her "style." I spoke to her about it and this is just how she shoots and sees. Her images work and are very strong.
Luckily we are allowed to break the rules, Shoot with your heart.
gary

Lots of characteristics of composition go in and out of style through the decades including the decision of whether to include all of the feet. For me, the only thing about that that is important is to make a conscious decision about whether to include them and then make your photos accordingly.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom