My 'pet' mantis .

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Desmond, Mar 11, 2009.

1. He[?] moved in a few days ago with one lame claw . Yesterday it accepted a moth from me and tonight it had moved to the curtains when I got home and accepted a large mosquito . It battles a bit to get a proper grip with one claw but seems to have survived this long so hopefully it will be around for a while still .
    These snaps were taken with my fujiF31 compact so they are a bit gritty at iso 3200 and 1600 ...

mantis002is.

mantis004isc.

as you can see his left claw doesn't work too well ..

2. WOW! What a neat "pet!" I bet you're gonna be feeding him awhile! Nice shots too despite it all! keep us posted.

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Awesome, Desmond! These are the neatest creatures, and you are getting major karma points in helping this one out.

(Once picked up a 'seed pod' and brought it to a friend's office for identification. Two days later, while it was sitting on his floor behind his desk, he called me down to his office where I found a group of people peeking in his door. The 'seed pod' had hatched hundreds of baby mantises and they were all climbing the wall behind his chair. They were very, very cute, very, very TINY, miniatures of the adult. We all laughed until we cried, until we had to figure out how to move them outside.)

4. Well I woke up this morning and it's still there on the curtain so this afternoon I'll have to catch it another bug to eat and maybe this time get some decent shots .

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Sounds like instead of a pet cat, you have a pet mantis. Maybe put him in a glass container with some leafy things and leave a banana in there while waiting for the fruit flies to hatch.

Good luck and keep us posted! I know you and your mantis are going to be best buddies!

6. JPerkins

JPerkins

Mar 8, 2009
    Lower Albama
    They are said to bring good luck. Here's hoping its true!

7. Well I got home after work and was quite disappointed because I couldn't see 'lefty' in any of the usual places - then I saw this shape on my DVD collection . He's got quite an ego because he was right next to 'Jurassic park' .
    Please excuse the dirty fingernails , I just got back from work . I set the tripod up and should have used manual focus beause it went out on a few shots but gives the general idea .....

mantismoth001.

set up the flash , find a moth .....

mantismoth003.

reaching out ...

mantismoth004.

"it's alive !!!"

mantismoth005.

ok , it's worth eating then !

mantismoth006.

ok now take the camea away so I can eat in peace please ! [ notice the left claw doesn't work properly ]

mantismoth007.

8. The greedy little pig ! about 45 minutes later and I considered setting the tripod up again for a some proper shots but then remembered that two days ago he refused the second offering . Anyway I caught another moth and lefty grabbed it right away ..... I just checked as I'm typing this and he has one wing left in his claw - everything else is gone !

greedy001c.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  9. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    This is so cool, I wonder how long he is going to hang around for.

10. Yeah , I'm enjoying the new visitor - hopefully it'll be around for a while .

11. I kept one for a while - its cool to watch them eat - but put it in a large container and put some crickets in there and watch it hunt down its prey. That is the coolest thing to watch - the hunt -

12. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    This is great! Any idea what the usual life span is?

13. I don't know , maybe I should do some research . But anyway I just got home from work and did a fairly thorough search if the house and can't find 'lefty' anywhere . Hopefully he will turn up again sometime .

14. Saturday morning , yesterday I thought lefty had left . This morning he was on the curtain again ! He quickly accepted a large mosquito- unfortunately with his left claw so he is battling to get it to his mouth ..... just checked on him again - he's eaten the face off so I'll leave him as-is to work the rest out himself because it certainly isn't going anywhere !
    taken with the fuji F31 with a piece of paper over the flash to diffuse it a bit .

lefty006c.

15. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Excellent! I'm glad he showed back up. He really is a good-looking bug with those leaf-like wings on his back.

I'm still going to suggest an aquarium of some kind with some soil and plants for his permanant residence - that way you don't have to worry about going for a water in the middle of the night and stepping on your little buddy. Fruit flies are easy to produce also - just need a banana.

Keep us updated; this is such a lovely story.

BTW - where's your Nikon?

16. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Found a link with interesting info about mantids, including how to house, feed and care for them, in case you're interested. Says the life span can be around 12 months, but most adults live around 6 months.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/mantids/p/mantids.htm

17. I"m loving this story with photos too! It's the type that brings a smile to the face and warm spot to the heart. keep em comin and yep, get that sweet little thing a home to live in!

18. +1 to what Dianne said. Keep 'em coming.

19. Love the mini-stories! He's definitely not a shy one :) One question: where the heck do you manage to get so many bugs for him?!

20. THis is such a wonderful story, Desmond. I'm really enjoying it, and the accompanying pics. At least the little guy is thriving.