My 'pet' mantis .

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Desmond, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Nice to see his appetite hasn't diminished at all!!! :biggrin: He certainly has you trained.

2. Could it be that his claw is healing up or getting better? That would certainly be nice! Keep up the updates!:biggrin:

3. Nah , that claw still looks a bit lame . When he has them folded up they are in the same position but when he is attacking the left one still stays lower and at an angle . Last night I hunted down a HUGE mozzie and gave it to him - the first grab he only got two legs and it flapped like crazy and he got a fright . It settled down and I let go and it sat on the curtain next to him for 5 minutes before he got the courage to attack again .... its wings are at the bottom of the curtain now .

4. Poor little critter! I'm glad you're taking care of him though! Just keep us posted as always! :smile:

5. chromatin64

chromatin64

Jan 6, 2009
    York, UK
    Aww, you're going to go to Mantis Heaven Desmond (if you don't go to Mozzie Hell first):tongue::wink:

6. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey, Lefty does look a bit chunky these days, doesn't he? Keep on spoiling him; the estimated life-span of a mantis is so short, Lefty might as well enjoy it while he can.

Maybe you could tear three wings off the mossies before handing them over? That would make Lefty's life a bit easier. Just got a picture in my mind of Lefty looking like Jabba the Hutt complete with dancing girls and Desmond feeding him mossies with all but one wing torn off...

7. That's a trick statement , lefty tells me ''mantis heaven" and "mozzie hell '' are one and the same place !

8. There is a wide cream-coloured 'panel' developing on either side of Lefty , I'm not sure of that is normal with advancing age or if it means he's about to shed his skin . [ These mozzies only have two wings ....... as long as you don't picture me looking like Jabba the Hutt !]

9. Well , this afternoon when I came home I walked to the curtain to check up on fatty and he looked up at me as if to say " well , where's the food !? " .
    All I could find inside was a scrawny moth which went down very quickly .
    So I lifted a rock outside and these crickets scattered , except the one I injured while lifting the rock . I had to 'hang ' it on the curtain inf front of him because he was very unsure of it but before I could get the camera set up he lunged at it and started eating ... note the white stripe developing on his side .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That should be enough food for tonight anyway .

10. Going pretty well so far - I hope nobody was eating when I posted this ....

[​IMG]

11. "Fatty" huh!? Cute! It's just so heart-warming that you are caring for that mantis! He's beautiful too! Now just keep that camera loaded and ready, keep the pics comin!

12. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Yay! Crickets! Ratio of meat per insect is very high there; good thinking, Desmond.

Some interesting information for you, which you have probably already looked up -

http://www.ehow.com/how_2306326_keep-praying-mantis-as-pet.html

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/courses/en507/papers_1999/feldman.htm

The second article tells you how to tell if Left is male or female.

Strange 'panel' - could be molting, could be she's busting out of her jeans (but I doubt it), could be she's going to make an egg sack and give Papa Desmond 300 little baby mantises?

13. Hmmm , interesting reading especially this part ! " The most difficult part of keeping a Praying Mantis is finding a sufficient number of insects to satisfy your Mantis' almost insatiable appetite!" , now you tell me ! It ate the whole cricket last night - non stop and I don't know where it all went ! This thing is designed like a trash compactor .... like Wall.e !

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  14. ROFL! You know you're loving it too!:wink::biggrin:

15. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Just checked up on mantis molting for you :biggrin: as I was worried about Lefty's 'panel'. My guess is she's going to molt (unless you have a mantis of the opposite sex somewhere in your home.)

Most problems with molting are due to lack of humidity - you might consider spraying down your probably somewhat-disgusting, bug-part-covered, by-now smelly, streaky curtain with fresh water (no tap water).

Did you check to verify that she's a she and not a he yet?

16. Haven't checked the plumbing yet....

17. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    As enjoyable as 'checking the plumbing' sounds, really all you have to do is count the abdominal segments... For an adult mantis - 8 segments for males, 6 segments for females.

How's the 'panel'?

18. Just hold it up in one hand, give us a closeup and we'll count the him or her parts for you!! :smile: I can just see it - 300 baby mantises climbing the curtains, all yelling "FEED MEEEEEEEE!" and Desmond spinning in circles, his head in his hands! LOL

19. From the side-on picture it looks to me like 6 segments:eek:

20. chromatin64

chromatin64

Jan 6, 2009
    York, UK
    What's the plural of 'mantis'?