My 'pet' mantis .

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Desmond, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Fantastic!! They are supposed to bring good you good luck, In this case I think you are the one who brought him good luck.

Les

2. I think that's when people resort to the other name , 'Mantids' .:smile:

3. Yeah I suppose so , he just finsihed off a small mozzie and only had smallish insetcs yesterday so I'm going out to the garden to see if I can russle up a small cricket for him - he likes them quite a bit !

4. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    You'll let us know how her 'panel' is progressing?

(And don't neglect to post photos for us, please...)

5. N0YZE

N0YZE Guest

I saw a video of one the other day that was on someones computer screen. When the person moved the mouse (cursor) near it the Mantis would try to pick it up!

6. Maybe that's whay lefty is sitting ont he curtain above my computer ! :smile:

7. The panel is quite wide and looks like it is now in two layers . Last night lefty wouldn't take any mozzies from me ???? looking pretty fat though . This morning I offered a large moth and lefty backed away from it ??? maybe lefty has been doing pretty well hunting alone or something .

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida

Well, geez, I'm, like, 10,000 miles away and I think that's weird. From what I understand, mantids are ALWAYS hungry. Hard to imagine Left scappering off her curtain to go hunting while you aren't looking.

Maybe you should take her to the veterinarian? :biggrin:

Did you look into misting her with water to aid in any molting she might be thinking about doing?

9. I went as far as thinking about it , I don't really have anything to do the job with. The dehumidifier in my spare room has been going for a while so the air must be fairly humid . But anyway lefty just took a large mozzie off me so the appetite seems to have returned .

10. A Preying mantis soap opera, only on the cafe could this happen, so very very cool. I don't know who is luckier, you or her.

11. Well I just got home [ 9:30pm ] from photographing a balloon 'nightglow' and "Leftina" was sitting waiting on the curtain [ 3 weeks now ] . There was a one legged grasshopper in the kitchen , I grabbed the one leg and it fell off so I put the whole thing on the curtain next to 'her'[?] - it's half gone already .

[​IMG]

12. Today I'm trying out one of thos cheap screw on macro attachments :eek: on my Tamron 17-50 lens . I caught Lefty a mozzie and watched her devour the head first ....

[​IMG]

Occasionally lefty wants nothing to do with my offerings - for no apparent reason , and backs away rapidly in disgust when a juicy insect of any species is offered .... my conclusion ? Definitely female !

13. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    LOL, maybe it's just her time of the month.

14. Well I suppose there are a few days now and then when a woman can be in a slightly touchy mood :eek: - then things get worse ! :confused::mad::confused:

15. The_greenman

The_greenman

Feb 13, 2009
    England
    Lol, shes great. I wish we had some here in the UK. I used to keep stick insects, but never had or seen a mantis.

16. She's just eaten two mozzies and a moth and I've only been home half an hour !

17. The_greenman

The_greenman

Feb 13, 2009
    England
    Lol. How is she today?

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    oh wow...he's eating from your hand! It really is a pet mantis.

19. This is absolutely amazing... thanks for sharing