My 'pet' mantis .

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Desmond, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Snooby

Snooby

Apr 12, 2008
    Georgia
    All I can say is WOW.

2. I'll post a pic later . This morning I took a shot of here in her 'sleep' position . She tucks both arms in and puts her head down and then I turn on the light [ autumn mornings here ] and she says " 5 more minutes please !" and won't take any insects - I don't try and feed her in the mornings anymore .

3. After much deliberation over the demanding attitude and mood swings we concluded that "he" is actually a "she" [ oh yes , I also counted the abdominal segments to confirm my suspicions ] .
    This afternoon I got home and after a frantic search found she had just moved to the other side of the curtain so I thought a moth would make a nice change from mozzies .....

[​IMG]

4. Thanks , have a look at the "sleep position " which is how she normally is when I wake up and turn the lights on ..... not interested in breakfast !.
    Every morning , arms folder close by her sides , face down and usually as far into a corner of the folds as possible !

[​IMG]

5. Well Desmond, at least she's the "picture of health!" She's probably happy to have you taking care of her! And looks it! Keep it up!

6. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    'Picture of Health' is an understatement! I'm thinking her little mood swings are hormonal, and she's going to be giving birth any day now. Something's gotta give. Her 'panel' is looking like it doesn't bother her.

Desmond, you are definately going to Mantis Heaven, where all the little mantids will worship you for your kindness in life.

7. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    She sure starts to look a little fat. lol

8. I think that's a more apt description "Fat". Last night I had left the kitchen light on to attract some insects in for her and there was another mantis on the window for a while ["Romeo" ???] but as skinny as a pencil . Nothing like "Madame Pork Chop " ......
    [​IMG]

9. What I want to know is what are you going to do if she ends up with a few babies? "Mantis adoption?" :wink::biggrin:

10. How about "Vacuum cleaner" style ! :eek: Actually if that does happen I might just set up a bit of a "mantis reserve" on my verrandah next to the outside light and leave it on at night to attract insects .
    Maybe a large pot plant for them to lurk on .

11. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I hope you meant 'potted'... :biggrin:

Maybe you could befriend Romeo also so Leftina came have company. Moths and mozzies can't be that hard to catch, yes?

12. I suppose 'potted' will cause less confusion :smile: . Last night I tried to find Romeo again but couldn't . If I do I will introduce them and if she eats his head off it will be on your conscience !

13. How did I miss this, just read the whole thing and I'm hooked.
    But comparing the 1st to the last, she is now huge! Obese or PG, cant wait to see which.:smile:

14. Oh the suspense is killing me! Pregnant or just fat and spoiled!

15. I'm keeping a close eye on any "sudden weight loss" . She has moved to the other side of the curtain - I just checked up on her this morning and she has her arms folded in and face pressed down to the curtain --- sleep mode .
    Last night she failed two attempts to grab mozzies from me , each time her bad claw hooked into the material which is more 'catchy' on the other side of the curtain so she gave up .... but there were plenty of insects on that side anyway, buzzing up and down the curtain , I keep the window partially open and the light on to draw in some 'grub' for her .
    Today marks the 4th week of her arrival .

16. Or both !!!

17. This afternoon I popped in on my way past home to another town and had a quick look - I've noticed she is close to the top of the curtain now so instead of going behind the curtain to look for her I looked up at the top and ...... "yoo-hoo"

[​IMG]

18. Love it! She's certainly a beautiful bright color!

19. That last picture is just superb, Des!!! You are definitely going to heaven for all you've put into this. I just love this story.

20. I'm still trying to decide what to do if I find that she 'suddenly got thin ' and there is a strange shaped 'formation' on the curtain - where do I put it !