1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My photo blog - 1st entry - D7000

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyE, Dec 30, 2010.

1. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Dear all,
    For many years I've been thinking to open up a personal blog for my premier hobby - photography (and a little bit of NAS :smile:) .

As we are approaching the end of the year, it was a good time to prep for a good start into the next year - hence I wanted open up today on the last day in 2010.

Please find my first blog entry, which covers my initial impressions with the D7000 during November 2010. It is a translation and summary from many posts I've written in the german photo forum NFF.

The blog landing page: http://nikonandye.wordpress.com
    The D7000 impressions: http://nikonandye.wordpress.com/cameras/digital-bodies-consumer/nikon-d7000

I'll intend to translate more stuff in the coming weeks and add more over time.

Please let me know what you think - I am very open for contructive feedback,
    Andy

Please keep in mind - english is only my second language, some phrases might sound strange :smile:

2. Holy cow, what what a valuable post! Thank you!!

3. IMO a new sensor is needed to show improvement in all areas.

My hint is less pixels....

give us the ultimate and i mean ultimate 6 mp crop and better yet 6 mp full frame...

come on color night vision is what i want

4. i want a 2 pixel sensor the size of a cookie sheet.

lol

5. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    That was a very interesting, wide ranging review. Well documented. Thank you.

You made mention that we would need to be wary of computer requirements. I've noticed significantly longer batch processing times. Oh well. Time for a new motherboard and processor!

One recommendation. Normally I expect blog posts to be readable inside of 2 minutes. I'd rather have more posts with less in them. I understand why this one was so long, so I won't argue with you about it.

Again, well done on the review. I'm looking forward to reading more of your writings. I've subscribed in my RSS Reader.

6. As a long time blogger (reaching 6 years) and long time blog reader (way more than that) I have to agree with the previous post. Good, but too long. You should break long posts into parts. Otherwise, nicely done!

7. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Thank you Keith and Omar for your kind words. Yes it was indeed a bit of effort, but lots of fun and insight too.

Omar and Alex: Thank you for your feedback - regarding the length of blog entries.

Hmm, don't know how to address it. On one side I'd like to post blog entries like in a classical blog, short and more time oriented. On the other side, I would like to use my site also for longer stories dedicated to one topic - like essay's and articles, were a blog structure would disrupt the flow for the reader.

Think, I have to think about it a bit more.

happy new year to all of you,
    Andy

8. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    I think I'd call these longer entries "articles" and introduce them in your blog basically as you did with the D7000 report.

9. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks Omar,
    I've changed my D7000 story to an "article" and added a few more entries in the last 2 days. If reasonable short, it is covered in a blog entry, otherwise the topic is just introduced and linked to a longer page.

I added:
    - a short story about baby lions in the Masai Mara
    - Some personal "analysis" about the causes of reflections in images
    - a potential error in the longitudinal CA removal algorithm in CNX2
    - A high res firework image from New Year.

and more Nikon gear posts should come shortly.....

with kind regards,
    Andy

10. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    That's a subtle change, but I think it does a nice job of cleaning up your layout.

Don't burn yourself out though! Pace yourself. Because I use RSS to watch for changes, I don't need to see something new everyday. I'd rather just have something every few days (or weeks, whatever) when you have something you really want to share. You don't owe me anything, so don't apologize for not posting.

I really like how you show the photo comparisons to make your point. The reflections article does a great job of that.

11. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    I wanted a blog for while. During x-mas vacation I started this effort. I've added now 12 blog posts in the first 10 days. Hope that some people might find the content useful, informative, potentially entertaining.

I don't want to run my site as a news aggregator, or rumor mill - there are other sites around. I'd rather write about stuff I do or own - hopefully with a level of depth some find helpful in their personal journey. Much in a way, that I had the privilege to learn from others who were willing to share as well.

Besides the longest article (D7000 "review" ) I've added some other themes you might be interested in.

http://nikonandye.wordpress.com

• comparing the image resolution of 21 different Nikon digital bodies (Nikon shipped 27 models since the D1).
    • a rather long article (30 pages+) on my impressions with the D7000,
    • some attempts to better understand the causes of reflections + 10 lenses compared
    • some issues with CA removal funtions in CNX2,
    • images with the AiS 58mm/1.2 Noct
    • an article about the AIS 180-600mm/8 ED
    • etc, etc, ...

I would welcome your feedback and recommendations how to improve the site (and its content).

regards,
    Andy

12. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    I really want to shout this out to the others on this board. These are good articles. The image comparison (with available nef downloads) between all those cameras is really a nice addition to the available information about the various camera models.

13. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Thanks

Thanks, Andy. I enjoyed your postings very much. Keep it up, and in your own style.

14. Hawk

Hawk

Jan 14, 2009
    California, USA
    Michael
    Very interesting articles and notes. I like the way you have it arranged now; it makes for very easy browsing and choosing which items to read. Your pictures are outstanding. I enjoyed the tour of the foggy city at night and the shots of the lion cubs. Thank you for posting.

15. I like your postings. They're not just usual 'ramblings' and they actually have content (unlike other blogs out there with silly one liners) The content is good and easy to navigate. Keep it up!

By the way, I have no idea how blogs work and they seem very complicated to create and navigate. I am still stuck in the old school way of creating an html page and uploading them to an ftp site, kinda like Ken Rockwell style. Is this not the way to go anymore? Are blogs (like wordpress) easier to create and maintain?

16. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    I don't know about creating and maintaining, but a great feature is posting on a main page (like a news reel) but also having a stable link that will always stay the same for the article. That allows hotlinking directly to the article knowing it will always be consistent.

The part I appreciate is the blogs are very RSS friendly. I don't visit the website, until l get the article on my RSS reader. I can monitor hundreds of sites for the handful that have articles each day. Rockwell has a kludge for RSS feeds, but it doesn't work very well. It means I needlessly go to his page to find out nothing has changed since the last time.

17. Andy, many thanks for doing this blog (though I know you're not doing it just for us :wink:) , and for providing the link here. I've just spent the past 1.5 hours reading through it, and still absorbed less than half. But much of it was educational.

Based on your experience with the D7000 so far, I would appreciate your impressions of the best lenses to use with the D7000 from among your large collection. Might be a good subject for a future blog entry.

Thanks again, and keep it rolling!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.