My photos are crooked

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I would estimate that 90% of the photos I take are crooked. I remind my self to keep the camera level but it doesn't seem to do any good. Perhaps one leg is 4 inches shorted than the other one. This could cause the problem. That way I have a slanted outlook. Do any of you have this problem or some other glitch in your photo taking?

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
I tend to hold the camera slightly slanted if I am not paying attention. I have the grid lines display on, and virtual horizon on in cameras that have the feature.

Real Name
Randy
I got it and I fix in LR
and I use grid lines to lesson the problem
for sports and wildlife the problem is worse because your tracking a fast moving object and your concentration is on the object

Happens to me often.
If I think about it I set the horizon display or check the level on the tripod.
Then I correct PP.

Yes, uneven horizons happen to me all the time when I shot sports. My first few steps in post are an initial rating done through Photo Mechanic, I then move those selected over to Capture One and my very first steps there is to level and crop the image before I do anything else to them. As I have each images up for the level and crop I do a second rating of each image. Those that make the second cut while being cropped I will work further, the ones that don't are most likely never seen again.

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It appears I am not the only one with a slanted outlook. I have added the grid to my view finder. And will be more aware of using it. Thanks again to all of you.

I actually switched from Nikon to Sony partially because of crooked images. I have had 3 surgeries on my shooting eye and can not see well- everything is wavy and skewed due to retinal puckering. On nikon I learned to shoot loose, so I had room to recompose and straighten in post. With the mirrorless sony system, the level in the viewfinder is easier to use- at least for me.
I have found however if I continue to stress and think about things being level- I miss the important shots- the gesture. So I correct in post and shoot away.
gary

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I actually switched from Nikon to Sony partially because of crooked images. I have had 3 surgeries on my shooting eye and can not see well- everything is wavy and skewed due to retinal puckering. On nikon I learned to shoot loose, so I had room to recompose and straighten in post. With the mirrorless sony system, the level in the viewfinder is easier to use- at least for me.
I have found however if I continue to stress and think about things being level- I miss the important shots- the gesture. So I correct in post and shoot away.
gary
I know about distorted eye problems. I had 2 eye surgeries for macular denigration. I had to lay face down 24/7 for 2 weeks. If you find a camera that works for you that is great. I think it is better to get a crooked photo that not at all. You can always correct.

Latest threads

Top Bottom