My picture stolen

Just saw one of my pictures on a website. They were kind enough to crop out my logo and use it without my permission. I am sure the model gave it to them and told them they could crop it. Oh how I love my stuff being stolen.

It's not a good picture at all, not exactly something I am proud of. But the least they could have done is given me credit for it.

http://www.rocklahoma.com/

It is the picture of Jessica in the pink gloves.

Some big name sponsors.
Preemptive strike - REGISTER THE IMAGE NOW!
step 1- review your model release to make sure there are no ambiguous statements regarding rights. Assuming you have a tight release, go to step 2...
step 2 - Contact the show's exec (as far up the chain as possible) and explain the issue. Tell them that the model had no right to use the picture in this manner with no photo credit/compensation. If this proves unsuccessful, go to step 3
step 3 - Begin contacting all the sponsors simultaneously to explain that your legal rights have been infringed upon and you'd like their help rectifying the situation. If that doesn't work out, on to step 4...
step 4 - Contact an attorney.

The people who organize events like this know better. Somebody dropped the ball, figured they wouldn't get called out, or the model felt she had total rights to the image. In any case, if the release is as it should be, you're entitled to credit and/or compensation.

Contact them. Don't let them get away with this. It hurts your credibility down the road if this happens again, and THEN and ONLY THEN do you decide to act on it, and it hurts the entire photographic community if you let them steal.

If they support bands and artists, I'm sure they understand all the ins and outs of the craptastic move of stealing music. Stealing images is the same thing. If they don't get it and ignore you, file suit.

So how do people normally find out if their picture's been stolen? It's not like there's a homing beacon when your image is being used somewhere you didn't authorize.

It's somewhat easy to follow if the client stole it, I suppose. But what about Flickr uploads? As far as I'm concerned, someone in Taipei might be using it on a book report, and I would never heard of it.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
So how do people normally find out if their picture's been stolen? It's not like there's a homing beacon when your image is being used somewhere you didn't authorize.

It's somewhat easy to follow if the client stole it, I suppose. But what about Flickr uploads? As far as I'm concerned, someone in Taipei might be using it on a book report, and I would never heard of it.

You can use this free service:
http://www.tineye.com/

Oh very nice. Thanks.

I wonder if there's a firefox/chrome extension or an app to batch process an entire library.

That's the first thought that crossed my mind as well. I fear the photo was given without any conditions whatsoever, in which case the model isn't the only one to blame…

Why would you fear such a thing? I'm not smart enough to have a model release or what? Your comment came across as both condescending and demeaning.

To answer your questions, yes I have a model release with her which states my logo cannot be removed from any of my pictures for any reason...

Jonny, that stinks. I agree with the others who suggest that you pursue this vigorously . You can bet your pants that is someone else used the "Rocklahoma" name, concept, and logo they would come after them with guns blazing.

To answer your questions, yes I have a model release with her which states my logo cannot be removed from any of my pictures for any reason...

call up the Rocklahoma organisers, point out they are infringing your copyright and that you are sending them a bill.

make the bill out for between 5x and 10x what you would have charged them if they'd asked.

point out to them that by removing your logo from the picture without your express permission they are commiting a serious federal crime.

if they don't pay up, you'll need a lawyer.

Why would you fear such a thing?

Because that's often the case nowadays when we read about peoples' photo being stolen, simple as that.

I'm not smart enough to have a model release or what? Your comment came across as both condescending and demeaning.

Please, don't get on you high horse. I have in no way implied that you were dumb. Simply, as said above, many today photos are "stolen" because the photographer simply handed the photo to someone without much explanation about what can and can't be done with them. Nothing more. :smile:

Why would you fear such a thing? I'm not smart enough to have a model release or what? Your comment came across as both condescending and demeaning.

So how about an update? Are you making any progress?

Please, don't get on you high horse. :smile:

I don't have a high horse. I don't even have a low horse.

So how about an update? Are you making any progress?

Unfortunately I have not made any progress on it. I'm not quite sure how to get ahold of anyone from there. I searched the site and also the forums they offer for contact information with no luck. The last thing I want to do is friend them on Facebook just to tell them I want to sue them! :tongue:

I don't have a high horse. I don't even have a low horse.

Unfortunately I have not made any progress on it. I'm not quite sure how to get ahold of anyone from there. I searched the site and also the forums they offer for contact information with no luck. The last thing I want to do is friend them on Facebook just to tell them I want to sue them! :tongue:

Actually friending them and posting a request for contact to discuss an illegally used image would be a very effective way to get a response - as a last ditch effort, of course.

You could try calling Jessica. She gave them the image, I would think that she has some liability. Make her eat some humble pie, get the contact info from her. If she is getting paid, she will know who is paying her. I find it sad that they croped your copyright, and put a copyright on their website. I would fight this. The promoter knows better.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom