My poor D2H

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Brian, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Had it since May 2004, and had been working without any kind of problems.. until yesterday, the infamous exposure / focus problem hit me.

I knew it was coming but it didn't give me any clue beforehand. Lucky that I won't be needing it, so took it to Nikon Canada (Toronto). I was told it would cost around C$375 last time I went in (just before the warranty expired), to my surprise, the service guy there told me Nikon had issued a "Service Advisory" for D2H, D70 and F55 and I will NOT be charged!

I am happy that I won't have to pay the C$375 or whatever, but I am sad that I will have to part with my D2H for at least 3-4 weeks. Hope they have this problem solved this time. Does anyone know there are people with problems after they fixed it the first time?

Seems like Nikon is finally accepting there is something wrong with the design?

Happy shooting.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've had my H since last December and hope that if the meter has to blow, that it isn't at a busy time. Thankfully, Nikon is fixing the meter issue for free.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi brian-

sorry to hear about your camera, but on the bright side, the repair is free. i have yet to upgrade the firmware of my d2h as i was worried about the meter failing. i read some posts about that happening after doing the upgrade. it could be a coincidence, but i played it safe. now that nikon's going to repair the meter failure for free, i'm planning on doing the upgrade this weekend.

here's a link to the nikon usa advisory on d2h meter failures:

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/d2h.html

a suggestion for the next three weeks while you're without a d2h: go back over your old photos and play around with them in photoshop. i usually do this if i have nothing new that i've shot. it helps with my ps skills, plus i sometimes see a new way of post processing or cropping a photo that changes it.

ricky

4. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    hi Ricky,

Yeah, the only bright side is that I don't have to pay. :tongue:

I guess that's what I will do when I am without my camera. I have yet to reinstall CS2 since I am having a computer problem for a few months and still trying to narrow down the cause.

I upgrade the firmware on my D2H the first night it came out and never had a problem whatsoever. Not too sure whether it's firmare related.

It's kind of "funny" when the meter finally died in the sense that the display in the viewfinder was flashing and the focus suddenly was very slow.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Look on the bright side..

A new camera :>)))

6. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi Gale,

I wish I could afford one right now. I have always wanted a D2X but still haven't saved enough for it. Frankly, to a certain point, I had lost faith in Nikon, but no way I am going to switch to the "other" brand.

Before I took the D2H in, I was calculating my budget, what if I traded in the defective D2H for a D2X, price still a bit steep for me, especially I know I won't make big prints. Not to mention new bigger memory cards, more powerful computer to process and store the images... I hope Nikon will fix it once and for all.

7. Brian, I'll give you a hint in dealing with Nikon Canada's repair facility: take the camera in with the 17-55 (nice $$$ lens), grubby photo vest, grubby well used camera pack and have the camera around your neck. Tell them you need it for the weekend for a wedding shoot and hopefully they'll stick it into the pro service lineup. Geee, I wonder how I'd know this!!! :wink:

8. Sandy, you are sooo good :wink:.

9. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi Sandi,

Has been a while since I last visited here.

That's perfectly ok if they need to take 3-4 weeks to get it fixed. Lucky that I don't have any plans for this time on using the camera. I did take the 17-55 lens along, the (new, I think) service guy didn't even take the came back for some shooting tests (like last time I took it in) and immediately told me about the service advisory, asked me to fill a form, take everything out and that all happened within 5 minutes.

From your suggestions, I only managed to do the first part, i.e. take the camera in with the 17-55, I don't have a photo vest, I took my new camera bag in, and the camera was in the bag. No wonder why he said 3-4 weeks. :biggrin:

10. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    No problem after 1st repair

and I've put 125000 shutter releases on mine since then!

11. papa85

papa85 Guest

D2h repair

Had my D2h light meter repaired when I had 6500 exposeurs. It came back from Nikon better then new. All tweaked out new rubber, new camera door, had to check the serial # to make sure it was my camera, all repaired FREE even though it was out of warranty. Hate to say it but I was glad it happened Color is much better meter is dead on. :Sheriff: :smile:

12. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hope Nikon Canada will do those in addition to replacing the necessary parts.

Everyone says they get better color and exposure after having their camera fixed, and better than new. I was totally happy with my camera before it died, and I am really looking for the return of the better than new D2H.

It has only been a week and I miss it already. :frown:

13. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    What's your total shutter count now? You really are pushing to go pass Nikon's acclaimed shutter life?

14. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    D2H at 200000

and counting!

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Brian,

I had my D2h repaired for the metering problem in July, Last Monday I started having metering problems again. I called Nikon and they e-mailed me a one day air UPS label and it was mailed to them that afternoon and received by them Tuesday morning. The completed the repairs yesterday.

UPS just delivered my D2h this afternoon. They replaced the rubber grip, the bayonet mount, and the metering FPC. They also did a general check and cleaning and cleaned the CCD. Hopefully your repair will be as quick.

16. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi Harry,

I certainly hope Nikon Canada will have a faster turn around time, but I have "conditioned" myself to be without my camera for the period I was told - 3 to 4 weeks.

Sorry to hear that your D2H had to go back for a second time. Hope they have come up with a solution for a proper fix. I would hate to be part with mine again.

Does anyone know whether Nikon Canada has the same web tracking system like Nikon USA? I have looked around, but can't locate it.

17. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Just curious, how did you manage to shoot 75000 in 1 day? How many memory cards do you have? Or straight transfer to your computer via wireless? I can't imagine myself having to deal with that many photos in 1 day. :tongue:

18. praveenk25

praveenk25 Guest

that's a large number.. my new D2H died at around 1000 shots. Nikon fixed it for free.

19. My out-of-warranty D2H was shipped back to me, by coincidence, the same day the service advisory was announced. Better lucky than good I suppose...so twas free of course.

They touched up some of the rubbed off finish and somehow wrestled off the super-glued-on rubber and replaced it. :biggrin:

How about anyone who had to pay....are you having a positive response with getting reimbursed?

20. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Just wanted to say thanks to Nikon, my D2H was shipped back to me yesterday in a Q-Tips box... hmm...

Feels so good that everything is in perfect working now.

Turn around time was 2 weeks, although I was told 3-4 weeks.