1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My primary email account has a 10MB limit -- Say What???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stayathomedad, Jul 27, 2009.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    And no, I'm not talking about 10MB attachments... I'm talking about 10MB is the total maximum size of our account.

Can you believe in this day and age ISP's still limit their email accounts to 10MB?

Yes we can upgrade to 2GB, but they want at least $2.99 a month.

It's just so hard to move everything over to a gmail if you have 10 years invested into your local ISP's email account.

Maybe one day... For now we just deal with it... My wife called a few minutes ago to tell me that we got a large email and so I had to go online and clear the account so it wouldn't block incoming emails.... LOL...

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Ouch ! One or two attachments and you're whole mailbox is saturated, that sucks :325:

3. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You can set up gmail to automatically retrieve emails from all your other accounts if your other email accounts support POP3.

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That depends. I have Gmail automatically read the mailbox from my ISP (as long as your mailbox is IMAP or POP). You can even label them as such as archive them when they come in (that's what I do) so they'll end up in their own "folder".
    From there it's just a matter of weaning off your "contacts" one by one (except for the ones that don't allow "free" email addresses, like B&H)

5. TommyO

TommyO

Oct 16, 2008
    West Michigan
    I use SMTP to pull it ll to my computers and have unlimited storage.

6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I know I know there's work arounds... Still.... it's a bit crazy for them to have such a small limit...

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That's quite the novel use of SMTP :biggrin:

Usually SMTP is used to send mail (push) and POP is used to receive mail (pull)

[/nittpick]

8. asnpcwiz

asnpcwiz

May 27, 2009
    USA
    Honestly I don't know why you just don't use gmail, and forward your account from your ISP to your gmail account. Then both are taken care of, new size limit and emails are received from all important accounts. If they don't allow you to forward emails (which some providers don't) you can create a rule. Maybe a rule that says anything To, CC, or even BCC to you, just send to a gmail account. As emails come in through the ISP, notify the important ones of your gmail account.

9. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I havent used a ISP offered email box since the old AOL days in the late 90s. Yahoo has unlimted space and I know gmail and hotmail have high ceilings.

10. Ditto (well, pop3 anyway). Even with my gmail-based stuff on my own domain, I still have everything stored locally. My actual ISP-based email is empty most of the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.