My problems with Cat

I decided to install Catalina yesterday on my wife's Mac and mine. Installation was a breeze and it seemed good.
However, I found problems I cannot solve. Both involve Thunderbird mail.

On my wife's Mac, Thunderbird does everything but send. I spend hours changing gmail settings to no avail. On my Mac, I can send mail but I can dismiss pop up reminders. Each time I try a window opens asking me to allow good access to my calendars. I add id, password, and click allow. But when I try to dismiss again the same window asking for access pops up again.

I then thought of going to Outlook as I want a mail program that works with gmail and has a built in calendar. I even bought Extract Mail Pro (0 star review) but that did not work - maay it is a cat thing but the developer has not answered my emails.

I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop CC? I know earlier Adobe was warning to wait to install. I didn't know if the issues had been resolved yet.

I haven't had issues with them yet - but I haven't tried them :)

Too busy with teh mail problems. The fact that 2 macs running 10.15.1 have different problems says something.

I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop CC? I know earlier Adobe was warning to wait to install. I didn't know if the issues had been resolved yet.
No, Adobe still says to wait. Too many problems with Adobe software and Catalina.

No problems here with Catalina on two different machines......but then again, I tend to have few third-party apps or do complicated things with my computers, and I prefer to use Apple's own Mail email client plus its native Safari browser. NO Microsoft crap in these machines at all. For photo editing, I don't use Photoshop or Lightroom, and didn't bother installing Adobe Flash Player, either, so no issues with Adobe products.

While I have Gmail, I don't use it in my email client, and instead keep it only as webmail access, which makes life a lot simpler. It is not my main email address, anyway, I only use it for when I need to provide an email address when signing up on a website or making a purchase online.

with gmail and their calendar being so good as is, i see no reason to use a mail client when a browser does a good if not better job.

Real Name
Chris
I upgraded as soon as it was available to me, I'm kinda obsessive that way. I'm running Photoshop CC and Bridge (and Lightroom, but I rarely use it, so LR's compatibility does not affect me.)

There is a program called Go64 that identifies incompatible software. Thirteen applications are listed as not compatible with OS X 10.15. (Do you really need to say "X 10" in that title? It's redundant.

Of those 13 apps, 11 of them are from Adobe. I suspect that these are the source of the issues Adobe has with Catalina. Here's some of my thoughts:

"Hey Adobe! We are sending you good money on a monthly basis. Get on the stick and fix your software.
Spend some of the money we give you to the programmers to fix the issues with the current implementation! Now, rather than later please cause you sent us that survey, but failed to mention that you hadn't fixed the current problems. Fixing stuff needs to take precidence over doing new stuff nobody has asked for, RIGHT!?
Thank you."

That being said, I haven't run into any problems using Photoshop and Bridge for my photographic processing. Note that I use Bridge to select the pictures I want, and do RAW conversion with Camera Raw. Then I use Photoshop proper to straighten, sharpen, spot fix, geometry adjust, resize, anything else that needs done, and finally save my pictures as .psd (for future editing) and .jpg files for presentation. I did not notice any changes to my workflow from Mojave OS.

I do use imap on my computer. On my phone and pad I use pop.I delete from those during the day but since my computer is on the mail went there before the deletions. Later, I delete from my comptuer, easily enugh, exceppt for thos messages I want to keep, I move them to different saved folders I have created.

That seems like it takes more time than it's worth..... I keep everything on the server and it goes to all devices (IMAP). On the computer I save in other folders whatever I want to keep and then when I get around to it and in the mood I simply delete the other items on what device I' happen to be on at the time and poof! They're gone from the computers and each device.... BUT still on the server, so if I've made a mistake I can still retrieve something. When I blitz everything at the server, yes, then they're really gone, so I tend not to do that very often until I've already made sure I've kept important emails that I want to retain for some reason. Interesting how we all have different approaches to using our devices and controlling our email!

I just don't see why anyone needs the local client anymore. You can do everything from the web client, it rarely goes down or has issues, and the mobile apps are fantastic. No mismatch between devices, instant synchronization, and no impact to local storage space. Even our large company with office365 is considering getting rid of the local office suite programs from our laptops and just using web versions.

I use the web version for Gmail, as I don't want a lot of stuff pouring into my email client on the computers or iOS devices, but I don't use Gmail for my personal email conversations, it's mainly for other stuff. I like having personal email right on my computer so that, as Allan mentions, it's easy to set up folders and keep important emails, etc., and is just more convenient for reading and responding to the emails I receive. Also I feel that my email client is probably a little more private than Gmail, which is important for emails coming from my banks, which I don't and won't have on Gmail.

However, that does not mean all 64 bit apps are fine with Cat.
Go64 and similar scanners only check the main program bundle and while these may say something is fine as it is 64 bit, some 64 bit programs may have 32 bit system dependencies.
For instance, the QuickTime 7 codecs have been removed from Catalina as they are 32 bit but quite a few programs relied on these.

For the next few years, developers will have to double up on their code to first check for the 64 bit versions of such dependencies and use these if available, and fall back to the 32 bit ones if not, to support Catalina and older versions.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom