My PSCS question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PGB, Apr 2, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm trying to figure out how to make one color show up on a picture that I have converted to grayscale. I may not be asking the question properly.

I have a color picture I want to convert to grayscale and then I only want the reds in the color picture to show up on the grayscale complete photo.

I just cannot seem to figure this out.

Thanks for helping a pscs newbie.

2. You duplicate the layer

Turn the duplicated layer into greyscale, make contrast adj to your taste and then take the eraser tool and erase the portion of the image you want in color.

Flatten the image at the end.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Yves,

I tried doing what you said but i was unable to make it work. Is there a link to more specific directions or tutorials. I was able to create a duplicate layer and once I erased the areas I wanted the dissapeared and the background color didn't appear.

Thanks,

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Believe it has to be done as a mask.

Do a search on the retouching forum at DPR they do this all the time. I have not been successful with masks to much yet.

5. OK, you've got a top layer that you've desaturated, and a duplicate colored layer underneath it.

Look on the side bar at the right, and see which layer icon is highlighted. Before you start erasing,
    make sure you've selected the top layer by clicking on it.

Then wherever you erase on the top layer, the bottom colored portion will show through.

Let me know if that's unclear, and I'll try to rephrase it.

There are better ways to do this, using a hue/saturation or channel mixer adjustment layer, but the
    eraser approach is a good starting point.

6. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

In Photoshop you can use many different methods to attain a similar end result. However, I would invest some time in learning about the power of masks. One of the beauties of masks is that you always have the original image available should you decide not to use it and the mask can be saved in with the file.

Another good thing about using masks is that if you make a mistake, you simple hit the X key to swap from foreground to background swatch colour (for a mask it will be black and white by default) and paint out the mistake with the white. You can also use grey as the brush colour to give transparency type effects.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks everyone! UF, i got it to erase properly. Now comes the hard part I guess. Making it look right. Is there a way to select what I want to erase without using the erase pencil or brush?

Thanks,

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Patrick, That is why Carol suggested adding masks.

Here is one of the shortest ways to do the thing:

[​IMG]

Channel Mixer layer is set to "monochrome"

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    and maybe some money into Wacom tablet :)

10. Sure. Instead of using the eraser tool on the top layer, use one of the selection tools, like the polygonal lasso, to draw around the element you want removed. Once you have "marching ants" around that element, just hit the delete key to remove it anc create a "hole" so the bottom layer can show through.

11. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Excellent. Thanks so much.

I think i will order a wacom tablet too. this is a lot of fun. Thanks everyone.

12. Patrick, when you get your Wacom, set aside at least four hours of uninterrupted peace and quiet and once you master it, you'll love it!!! Jarrell enticed me to get mine, and I hated the thing at first try but he told me to slow down, and learn it. Once learned, always loved! I never edit without it. A few filters that are just MADE for a Wacom is PixelGenius PK Sharpener for sharpening - you paint it on only where you want sharpening and you can adjust the opacity (severity). Also, Nik Dfine Select for painted-on noise reduction. Highly recommend these two. Cheers, Sandi

13. Patrick,

I almost missed this post...The easiest way to do this is after turning the pic to grayscale, use the history brush and paint whatever you want on the picture to bring back the colors.