My quick 28-70 test... otherwise known as Bokeh love.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Broyer, May 15, 2007.

1. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    I got my 28-70 yesterday. Wow, what a handful of lens. The focusing is super fast. I didn't have much time to ring it out yesterday and I hope to use it for an upcoming job this week.

498709044_a85bbdcbb3_o.
    f5 at 70mm

View attachment 95687

My tests were outside at 6 PM EST with fading natural light. I wanted to see the bokeh and the focusing speed. My neighbors, 4 year old twin girls, were perfect targets for the fast focusing of this lens.

How was it upclose?
    View attachment 95688
    f4 at 70mm and probably 10 inches from subject.

View attachment 95689
    f4
    bokalicious!

Based on super preliminary testing, I can see this lens becoming a fixture in my bag of tricks. It's probably going to be my main lens for outdoors people work. I look forward to trying it on my next portrait session.

The focal length is pretty good for my style of shooting as most of my best (people) shots are in the 50-100mm focal length and I'm a sucker for cool bokeh backgrounds.

Warren, thanks a bunch.

Cheers,

Tim

2. Hi Tim...

Congratulation on getting "The Beast"... This is a superb lens, and I'm sure you will get a lot of use from it. I just cant stop using mine since I got it... It will do everything you want I'm sure, and a side benefit is that it will build up those arm muscles of yours just carrying it around...LOL....

3. Tim,
    Congratulations on your new lens!
    I think that you were watching the bokeh too much and you forgot to protect your highlights though :wink:

4. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Absolutely beautiful images. I feel safe saying this in this thread, but I am (and have been) really on the fence about a lot of "new" lenses. The older lenses 'always' look exactly like I would expect a picture to look. But the pictures from the newer lenses 'SEEM' to be either 1.) Photos that have incredible amounts of sharpness, contrast, color ..or 2.) Photos that look SO digital to my eye, I might think they came off a $100 P&S.

I would like to see a lens round-up that used a horribly (difficult) lit subject for all the shots. I have a feeling the older designs might do better, but i don't know.

but Congrats on getting The Beast! I'm jealous.

5. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Yes and no... I'm not always put off by highlights, but the girl in blue is a tad hot I'll agree. My 85 1.4 is staying home this weekend while I give the 28-70 a run through the Shenandoah Valley. I'm planning to strap it with my while I cycle through back roads.

Cheers..

6. mugman

mugman

Dec 2, 2006
    California
    Wow, really nice stuff!! Be careful mounting your gear to the bike, don't want to make a paperweight out of anything.