My Saab Saga

Real Name
Ken St John
In 2011, we bought what turned out to be one of the last Saab's built ... an '11 9-5 Aero sedan in Java Brown Metallic (one of just 13 Aeros in the USA, 33 in the world, in this color combo). We took delivery about 3 weeks before Saab went bankrupt and disappeared forever. Not the best financial decision I ever made, but the car itself was pretty nice. We kept it for about 5 years, then traded it in as the horror stories about maintenance and parts issues here in the USA were getting really scary. (For example, the Aero had an electronically adjusted suspension that was unique [Sport Mode REALLY gave you a SPORT mode!] and one owner in New Orleans bent a front end component going over a pot hole. After a worldwide search of official and third party parts sources, and junk yards, it was determined to be unfixable and his insurance company totalled the car!! Yikes!!) If the parts & service situation had been better, I would have kept it for a long time as it was stylish, seemingly well built, and really fun to drive. The seats in the front were beyond a doubt the best I have ever sat on in a car!!

After trading it in, one of the guys in our FB group bought it and shipped it back to Sweden where the parts & maintenance situation was better. As far as I know, he still enjoys it!!

The then unique styling, inside and out, I think has held up very well over the years!!
2014 Summer 2014-07-20 662_WithAdjustments_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Whistler Summer Ken 608.jpg

Sunny Pt Defiance 59.jpg

SunnyCars2 7_DxO.jpg

The dark brown metallic exterior color was always tough to capture properly. Always seemed too dark in my images. But, one day I was lucky ... It was a gorgeous color in person!!
Whistler Summer Ken 606 - Version 2_WithAdjustments.jpg

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Had a 76 Saab 99 GLE 4 door in a dark mustard yellow. Loved the car and it ran well, the one issue I had was it went through muffler hangers like crazy. It used little doughnut type hangers that kept splitting. Ended up having to bu a buch of spares. Originally bought the car in St Louis but then moved down to Atlanta, problem was that only one mechanic about 30 miles north of Atlanta would even service the car as at the time no dealerships in Atlanta.

It was funny when anyone tried to drive it as they could never figure out where the ignition was.

Probably one of the most comfortable cars i've ever had.

My son drives Saab 9-3 Aero and when I promise to behave and drive nicely I can loan it 🙄

Real Name
David
My mother drove Saabs from the mid 70's until the early 2000's. They were all well made, maintenance heavy tanks.

Living in VT we once went through a 10 foot snowbank at about the 4 foot mark. The car ended up nose a bit down with the rear wheels in the air. We got out, walked to a near by farm and ask the farmer to pull us out by the tow hitch. I seem to recall the plastic frame around the headlights was cracked. Other than that we thanked him and were on our way.

Last edited:
Real Name
Carl
My brother and sister-in law had one. I loved to drive it. had a problem with the key mechanism that they put between the seats, where it would gather all the dirt, etc. that fell on it. I bought a can of switch cleaner at an auto parts store, and really squirted it out. That solved that problem!:D

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My brother and sister-in law has one. I loved to drive it. had a problem with the key mechanism that they put between the seats, where it would gather all the dort, etc. that fell on it. I bought a can of switch cleaner at an auto parts store, and really squirted it out. That solved that problem!:D
Yeah, ours had a pushbutton start/stop but it was in the same location!! (It's the button on the bottom left of the console, to the left of the transmission selector.)

Beyond a doubt, what I miss the most are the seats!! The driving position was very comfortable and there was a lot of real leather! The top image in this grouping was made while on a 3,000+ road trip through Wyoming, Utah and California. Never once was my rear end "tired." :D The driver's seat even had a pull out extension (about 2 inches) on the front of the seat bottom for trips. Fun fact ... for some reason the product planners in the USA made this a driver only feature. In Europe, both the driver and the passenger got the extensions! Never did figure out why ...

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Being Swedish there is a lot of sadness with the ending of SAAB. They invented a lot of cool stuff: Dual sparkplug ignition, heated seats among other things (I think). Then they had to sell out to GM, who milked it out of all tech they could find & forced Saab to build cheap cars with Opel parts in it, and then it went belly up and GM would not help at all to keep it going.

That said my SAAB 9000 was an amazing car, at the height of their independent years, to bad they couldn't make it on their own....

Last edited:
Beautiful car, and beautiful captures.

Nice to see some Saab drivers here. I was on 20+ years ago, first a 900 and then a 9000CD Turbo. The 9000 was a great car, built like a tank and very fast, with 'luxury' interior and very comfortable seats

I bought myself a new 1989 model when I landed a sizable contract. Owned it for 14 years, great car with some overheating problems.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Being Swedish there is a lot of sadness with the ending of SAAB. They invented a lot of cool stuff: Dual sparkplug ignition, heated seats among other things (I think). Then they had to sell out to GM, who milked it out of all tech they could find & forced Saab to build cheap cars with Opel parts in it, and then it went belly up and GM would not help at all to keep it going.

That said my SAAB 9000 was an amazing car, at the height of their independent years, to bad they couldn't make it on their own....
Hi Andreas,
same happened to Opel...

Kind regards
Klaus

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom