My Samsung monitor has lost its brightness.

My monitor is a Samsung LED model Sync Master S24B 300 that I bought just 3 years ago. My color calibrator is a Datacolor Spyder 3 Pro with the latest software, ver. 4.0.2.
When I bought this monitor it was too bright and when I calibrated it for the first time I remember that the Spyder asked me to reduce the brightness. Everything has been working beautifully till just a week ago when I calibrated the monitor for the last time.
This time the Spyder asked for more brightness. I took the brightness control to 100% and still I was not at the target the Spyder was requesting. I compensated using more contrast, something I have learned I was not supposed to do.
The monitor remains at 100% brightness and colors and texts look great, like they did before BUT, I do not believe I will be able to calibrate the monitor again unless the Spyder asks for the same setting or a lowering of the brightness. Since I never experienced this with my old LCD I am puzzled by what is happening. Or the Spyder or the monitor is at fault and I tend to think that it is the monitor. I have no way to test the Spyder with another monitor.
Let me repeat again that the monitor is not excessively bright after taking the brightness control to 100% and that graphics and text look great with great colors.
I want to give it a shot here before I contact Samsung. Any help would be most appreciated.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

It could be any number of things including hardware fault. So worth checking some basics first

1. The monitor does not have a huge brightness range limited to about 200-250cd/m2, but at this level it should be far too bright for ‘normal’ viewing and certainly so for photo editing

2. At maximum brightness if performing correctly you should find it uncomfortable viewing a blank white page in PS or your word-processing application.

3. Check first that you do not have any Eco saving features switched on as this could be adjusting the brightness of the monitor automatically.

4. If the above ok then I would suggest doing a visual check using the online testing at Lagom
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast_ratio.php . Go through the tests paying particular attention to the Black level and White saturation and the notes on evaluation

5. Should your testing draw a blank then it is a possibility that the backlight is failing in the unit. They are usually relatively inexpensive to purchase but could be costly if you are unable to do the job yourself and may just prove to be uneconomical to repair – unless you are lucky enough to be within the warranty period

Latest threads

Top Bottom