My second attempt at infra red

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Bohdan, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Thanks to Benoit's advice I preset the white balance with the R72 on. Hope this turned out better...

[​IMG]

And my patient wife

[​IMG]

Opinions and advice are solicited and welcomed once again

thanks for looking

bohdan

2. Can't offer any advice, Bohdan, but must say the green sky effect is very interesting!

3. Thanks for your comment Kevin...
    One of my shortcomings is being colour blind...so I rely on others to let me know when colours are not quite right..

Green eh????hmm!! it just looked dark to me...lol

bohdan

4. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Bohdan,

Nicely done. The more pics I see like this the more I want to give it a try. Any tips on getting started?

Jack

5. Thanks Jack...that was my kicker as well..seeing what effects that an infrared filter can do as posted by others...Benoit G...Boobie Joe...encourage me to give it a try.
    I love the effect...surreal- yet crisp..

I used the D70 along with the kit lens ( 18-70 ) along with a Hoya R 72 IR filter..The rest is:
    White balance as a quickly found out( pointed out so patiently to me by Benoit ) is the key...You have to preset the WB with the IR Filter on to a sunny piece of grass or bright sky..Focus without the filter on then carefully put the IR filter back on...
    Manual mode F/11 Shutter speed 6 seconds. ISO 200 ( I shot in RAW)

the rest is all post processing in Capture...the Photoshop channel swapping and Hue/saturation adjustments

Hope this helps..

I believe that both Benoit and Boobie Joe have posted the processing technique on this forum.

Thanks again
    Merci beaucoup

bohdan

6. You are progressing nicely Bohdan. I like the 2nd one the best. The green sky in #1 looks other worldly.

7. Thanks Gordon..

It's definately a learning curve for me.

Bohdan

8. Nice scenery, I think you might be missing an operation in the channel mixer or a step. The sky should be back to blue ...

9. thanks Boobie..

Don't know where I went wrong..this time followed Benoit's advice to a tee.
    Other than taking a preset white balance from the sky...since there wasn't any sunny green grass areas.

oh well...keep trying.

Bohdan

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You shouldn't care about "colours" of an IR image. The colours aren't for real anyway :D and traditional white-balancing doesn't work. IR isn't visible light.

If you want green skies so be it. I found your earlier attempt with the reddish hues to be visually more pleasing.

Or try going into b/w, that can work very nice with IR. On the other side, if you want to go *far* out with IR and IR colours, it is the perfect vehicle for doing just this. Just see the image below.

(taken with 20 mm lens on D2H, Wratten 89B filter)

11. Wow, Bjørn! That looks alien! Love the colors in that one.

12. Very nice Bjorn..Had the pleasure of visiting your city and country a coupe of summers ago.
    I have a brother who lives in the far north 1 1/2 hour drive past Tromso.. Little village called Oteren. Loved the scenery!

Bohdan

13. I like the green sky in your images, Bohdan.

The IR images that I've seen posted on this forum have impressed and compelled me to give IR photography a try.

I really like the eerie and "Halloween" feel that it gives me. Like something from a horror movie.

14. Thanks Justin...that's what drew me to trying IR..that eerie yet compelling feeling of otherworldliness but at the same time a knowledge that the image is of the real world....freaky, but beautiful.

Bohdan