my sister - the model

Discussion in 'People' started by JD Photography, Jun 7, 2007.

1. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    Where to start? Well I'm originally from CT and I moved out to CA 2 years ago on my own. Anyway, I work in property management. I applied for a position out of the Boston office since I'm interested in moving back "home". The company paid for my flight and I was able to stay at my parents house over the weekend. My sister used to do some modeling a few years ago. I really think she should get back into it, but she seems to be into her partying more than anything. She graduates college next year so who knows!

She finally let me take some shots on Sunday before I went back into the city for my interview. Here's one of the shots:

[​IMG]

I was shooting in natural light with the lens wide open. I think a blew out her shirt a bit on the left and also the top of her hair. I have a few more shots I want to process so maybe I will post those in the next day or two if you all enjoy this.

Feedback is appreciated! This style of shooting is not my norm so I like to hear what you all have to say.

Thank you!

PS-The interview went well! I think I got it and I hope to hear back from them soon. It would be an internal transfer/promotion so I'm really excited about it.

-Joshua

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Over processed for my taste..

3. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston

If you don't mind me asking, what features of the photo are over-processed in your opinion?

4. What feature is over processed? Her whole face. :smile::wink:

As a photographer, you shouldn't be blind. I know I sound harsh and all, but this kind of PP is a source of deep insult to any respectable lady. :smile::wink::Angel::tongue:

You're showing good PP skills. Just keep the skin to an acceptable level where the model will still be considered a human being and not a mere plastic mannequin. :smile::wink::150:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  5. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

I agree with it looking over-processed.

Please don't take it in the wrong way, I usually love your stuff.

However, the face and eyes look too smooth...almost like a doll or something.

6. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    I'll take the feedback positively, even if a bit harsh. I didn't think I over-processed her skin. Sarah has very nice skin IMO so I didn't spend much time on it. I did try to remove the "bags" under her eyes. She was out until 3:00am the night before, so she looked tired.

I certainly don't think I was being "blind" here as I spent time on the photo. Like I said above, I'm new to this type of work.

Perhaps I will take another stab at it. My goal was bring out the beauty I see in her as a model, certainly not to insult her or make her appear as a mere plastic mannequin.

Thanks for the feedback though, I really do appreciate it.

7. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    I see what you guys are getting at now. Please forgive me, I shouldn't have posted this without looking it over and spending a bit more time with it. I arrived back late last night so I'm tired and it probably wasn't the best idea to edit photos being this tired. No excuses!

Well, thanks for the feedback Matt :) I'm glad to hear you enjoy some of my other works.

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    First thing to say is that your sister is a pretty girl, no question about that.

However, as has been said by others, her skin in the shot looks like porcelain and, whilst some are fortunate to be blessed with such pure, blemish-free skin, I reckon it to be the exception as opposed to the rule.

But hey, maybe your sis is one such lady? And, coming in from left field here, if she is, I'd almost consider adding a few blemishes. As is often the case, perfection is so rarely seen in anything that, when it happens, everyone thinks it is faked.

Just my two cents...

Finally, as I said before, she is nonetheless pretty...

9. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    It appears as though you were going for a soft glow, I like it

10. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agreee there is a bit too much smoothness to her skin that make her eyes seem a bit unnatural in their appearance, but I compliment you on taking the rather harsh criticism in stride.

What did your sister think of the picture?

11. her skin looks alright if you're going for a soft glow, the place it looks maybe over done is around the nose and then that the eyes are such a sharp contrast. I think the main thing that makes it look that way is the eyes because if they were softer too it would work better. but leaving some detail and texture is most always key i think.

it's sometimes difficult to tell what your photo looks like through other people's eyes and if you've gone too far if you're working on something for a while and you realize all the steps you've taken to get to where you're at. it's the same with painting.. sometimes you have to leave it and come back later to actually see the difference you've made with your changes. another way to tell if you've gone to far is to use history to see what it looked like before and compare to how it looks now. at least that's what i try to do.

so posting in the forums is a quick and easy way to get others opinions and let you take a break from the image so you can look at it later and judge it accordingly. it's not that he's blind, and if he is then i am too because sometimes I have questions about how things look. i dont think you should apologize at all for posting this!

and i dont understand how this image out of everything that gets posted here got such a harsh reaction. but it's certainly good that folks are giving critique. ok, that's all.

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    If your going to shoot her ...just shoot her face. Her face looks like you over did it with the PP - it looks plasticially (sp). Also her looking away doesn't do anything to this picture. She's a beautiful girl with big beautiful eyes...have her look at you. Not crazy with the way the light is hitting the top of her head. But this is JMHO.

13. I really dont care for the harsh criticisms given in this thread and it seems to follow certain users around this website. It's possible to offer C&C without a negative or condescending tone. The blind comment is completely out of line in my opinion. :mad:

Aside from that, your sister is a beautiful young lady. The image is exposed nicely and very nice... however, the pp on the face is a bit much. I would check out Woody's perfect skin tutorial on the original and go easy on the opacity before the final blend. You've got a great image to start with and a lovely model so there's no reason this shouldn't be a frame worthy image.

14. I agree 100% Brian. Nice post. I think many have said the same thing here with completely different tones and I think the OP would have gotten the message without the attitude. Beautfiul girl by the way. And, I applaud you for taking these comments in stride.

15. Bwilder, Nuccin and JD,

I'm sorry for this. Really don't mean to sound condescending and I am not. But it's a fact that women are very sensitive to their looks and skin. If one overprocesses their skin it can be an insult. I don't know any other way to tell it then like this.
    Woody's last pics are a great example: Perfectly processed, perfect balance and perfect skin.
    This is a place I cherrish because we can exchange ideas without afterthoughts.Or at least that's what I thought. So again, I'm sorry for sounding like someting that is not in my intention while I'm only being honest.

I've gone and edited my original post #4.

My Regards!

16. Hey Joshua, thanks for posting this image of your beautiful sister. I do have a few suggestions if you don't mind. Using a diffuser on the right side of your sister would help a lot to keep the exposure within bounds. As you mention the shirt is blown and this would fix that. I think you did a pretty decent job in controlling the light in the background and like your use of DOF. When doing PP I too like to do a little work on the face to remove dark circles and any blemishes. What I try to do is to not remove them entirely but rather to soften them and tone them down. I usually do this with the clone tool set to lighten and about 10% opacity. Softening skin is best done with an easy touch, being sure to leave some skin texture. Woody's tutorial on this subject is a good one but can be easily overdone if one isn't careful.

Thanks for sharing this image and I think your sister is lovely and you have done a good job in capturing that.

I am pleased that you did not take offense at some of the overly harsh comments you have been given. It is a sign of maturity not to take offense and I take my hat off to you.

17. Hey Ned, I appreciate your honesty and, in the end, your posts and criticism are far more valuable than my limited critiques that are usually not much more than "nice shot". And, your work speaks for itself. But, what you said just now was said in a completely different tone than your original post and would have been just as, or a lot more, effective in relaying your thoughts. I've been on that end of one of your posts before, so I am probaby a little sensitive. But, the OP was asking for some additional detail regarding the first person's comments. Harmless question that could have been answered by you honestly with excellent feedback and no reference to him being "blind". Honesty does not equal rudeness. I would hate for your messages to be lost in your insults. Just my two cents...

18. Well, we are blinded by our own work and ideas to sometimes not seeing what's in front of us anymore. I know that when I start PP'ing a landscape I end up being super happy but then someone will ask me why is the grass glowing green and why is the sky Purple, breaking my big bubble. When a lot of PP is involved we get lost into it to a point of not really seeing the final result. That's what I meant.

The best rule for PP, IMO, is to work it twice with a a couple hours of rest in between. This way our eyes instantly see if it's a make or break image.

19. Any chance we can see the original, unprocessed image? I think this could be helpful to everyone here.

20. Ned, I think we need to be completely honest and open with each other as that is the only way we will improve... but it doesn't have to be harsh. I know you didn't mean to insult or hurt anyone with your comments and I appreciate you for coming back and clearing the air. I've been a member at different sites in the past where people were just flat rude and it discouraged other people to post. I really think this site is the best on the web for photography related interests and want to do everything I can to encourage people to join and participate.

Like Anthony said, you do great work and we're glad you are here. :wink: