My Sister

Discussion in 'People' started by bep207, May 20, 2007.

1. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    So I have been told that some of my sister's friends are wanting me to do some senior portraits for them this summer.
    I said sure, but I'm not promising they would be good. I recruited my sister the other day to help me practice.
    Here is one shot that I thought the post processing saved.

Original
    [​IMG]

Edited
    [​IMG]

Please let me know what you think about this. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

The other photos were pretty bad, I need some work on posing people. Everything just always seems really akward and staged. I picked up some books at Borders that may be helpful in that subject.

ALSO, are these photos too big? I can start exporting them in smaller dimensions if that would be more helpful.

Thanks
    Blake

2. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    no help?

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

They're kinda big, BEP. I have to scroll across to get to the other side....make them smaller.

4. Hey Blake...beautiful sister you have there. Since you asked, here are a few thoughts:

1. The flash is a little harsh for my style of people pics. I generally like a softer flash for this kind of shot. Did you use any type of modifier for this?

2. The first is a little underexposed, the second is much better. Great sharpness on the second in the eye lashes...WOW! But...there are some weird blur artifacts in her eyebrows that really caught my eye...not sure if it's my monitor or what, but it is a little distracting.

3. For dramatic pics, the eye covered by the hair might work, but IMHO, for senior portraits, I'd like to see both eyes lit.

4. Some like 2 catchlights, but for my tastes, I only like one. You can clone it out pretty simply.

I guess my overall thought is that this is a great picture using your SB800 strobes, but I think for senior portraits you might want to invest in some modifiers, like softboxes, umbrellas, etc... When I was just starting out I got some great advice from the folks here...professional images demand professional gear...that includes modifiers. You should be able to pick up some small softboxes and do very well.

Check out http://www.photoflexlightingschool.com/Lighting_Lessons/Basic_Lighting/Portrait_Indoor/index.html and look for the "portraits using portable flashes" for some examples of what I'm talking about.

Good luck...

Just my thoughts, Blake...don't take them the wrong way.

5. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    John,
    Thanks for the input. I actually used some Amvona umbrellas in this shot. But it was very rushed, and my mom was actually holding one of the umbrellas in one hand and the flash in the other. The umbrella adapters should be in tomorrow.
    I was also playing around with the exposure compensation TTL adjustments with the SU-800. I wish I had more time to get stuff set up, but my sister was just getting ready to walk out the door to go out with her friends and I was able to snag her for a quick shot.
    mrsollars' wedding is coming up soon, and I hope to have some good bride portraits to share soon
    THanks for the comments, I will try to resize them too
    Keep em coming
    Blake

6. Blake,

Firs, I think that your sister is lovely and that she takes a great picture.

For me, I would rather see the original image less tightly cropped on the face and maybe the hair away from her right eye. I think the second is a bit too tight for me, persoanlly. Also, the sharpness of the image does not do her justice. Some softening of the features using, for example, the Tutiki atricle "Beautiful Skin by Czechman" would help a lot. I tried it in combo with a levels adjustment, with the result: original. .

What do you think?

7. Hey Blake, the first image is good but is underexposed. To recover this I went to levels and moved the right slider to the left until it contacted the data in your histogram. I then went to shadow/highlight to recover some light in the area of her right eye and also to lighten the background a little. I then softened her skin a little and removed a couple of blemishes on her chin. Your sis is a pretty young lady with nice eyes. She needs to pull the hair back and let us see her beautiful green eyes for sure. Oh I forgot, I lightened her teeth a little as well.

Tweaked version of image #1:

original.

8. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    Joe and Gordon,
    Great adjustments. I really liked the skin technique. I will definitely check up on that article.
    I realized it was underexposed, but she didnt give me the time to fix the flashes. Gordon, I really like how you brought back the right eye.
    I plan on having her pose again soon, hopefully with a little more time next time.
    I really appreciate the comments and suggestions.
    This is really the best way to learn!
    Blake