My son the portraitist

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Mar 28, 2007.

1. My 9 year old son takes better portraits than I do. He even made his old man look presentable on this one.

I love his composition. It cracks me up that he moves the focus reticle around to suit his needs. Takes him some time, but it usually works. My radiologist wife can't figure out the focus "thing"!

[​IMG]

2. Zowie. Did you tell him about the Rule of Thirds, or is this composition just due to his feel for layout? Either way, that's a killer shot.

3. Frank, I'm telling you the kid's a natural with composition. We haven't had that father/son rule of thirds chat yet.:redface: I'm waiting until he's old enough!

4. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Is this compo thingy an instinctive human trait or what? My niece (2+) takes photos with great composition too! Of course your son's capture of you is much better. Tell him that ok? Thanks Mitch!

5. Mitch, your son certainly has the "eye"...great shot.

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thats a great shot. I wouldn't bog him down with rules. It looks like he's figuring it out on his own.

7. What a great shot, congratulation to your son.

8. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

very very nice !!!! mad props !

9. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    I'd have to agree, the kids got moves! Let him develop his own style. Rules at this stage would just cramp his progression. I'd love to see more from the little guy!

10. Keep a camera in his hands Mitchell. What a great shot.

11. Super portrait. Keep the camera available to the lil bugger.

12. That's outstanding for a 9 yr old. That image is just about perfect!!!! What camera/lens combo was used for the shot?

13. pjwarneka

pjwarneka

Oct 30, 2006
    yeah, screw the child labor laws! ;} Hire your son.

Great shot!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  14. Future Nikon Cafe member at work - excellent!

15. Thanks for looking, Keith.

This was taken with the D200 and 28-70mm, f2.8 lens.

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Tell him he did great. Looks like he is a natural. Nice to see such a wonderful portrait of you!

17. I'm thrilled with all the kind words and will pass them on to my son. He's had a little fuji P&S which he uses all the time. Lately he's been more interested in my old D70.

He took three shots of me by this stream. All three are quite good. I then took about 10 shots of him at the same location. None of them are particularly noteable.:frown:

We were just killing time while the ladies were in a clothing store doing some shopping.

18. Beth

Beth

Nov 13, 2006
    Kansas
    Beautiful! It is a very flattering shot of you.

19. time for his own gear!