My Son with my new 50 1.4D

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Marques, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Set up the AB400 with 47-inch Octabox to test my new 50 1.4D. While I've thoroughly enjoyed the 50 1.8 a recent comparison post by Todd convinced me that the 1.4D is a better choice for overall sharpness (especially at f2 which is where I shoot quite often hand held).

D2H - 50 1.4D @ f8:

Re-process based on Uncle Frank's feedback (he noticed my poor attention to detail in the first attempt) :D
    View attachment 5560

Comments always welcome, thanks for looking.

Joe

2. That is certainly a fine shot of your son Joe. The sharpness is great and I for one would be very happy to have a lens that sharp. I have had lens lust for the 85mm f1.4 lens for some time now but can't quite swing the cost. Certainly your 50mm f1.4 looks equally as sharp.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very sharp Joe. I noticed that you shot this one at f8. Do you have samples closer to the wide open end?

Thanks,

Frank

4. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hi Joe, I see you bought the 50mm F/1.4...How do you like it? I really like mine alot and I use it quite often. That is a nice portrait you have made. Of course it helps to have good looking cooperative kids as well. Nice job, I want to hear about this wedding you will be doing.

Todd

5. WOW

That is a wonderful shot.

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Great shot Joe and I see your son has got the model deadpan glare look down perfectly. :)

Neil

7. Joe, You, Steven and myself should ...

Open a photography studio ...

:lol:

Great shot.

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Joe,

This is an awesome shot. I just love taking pictures of my kids. I need to post some more.....

Thanks for sharing.

9. Hope you don't mind a little critique, Joe. Your answer may help me with my own flash work.

There doesn't seem to be any detail in the lad's eyes, or in his sweater. Was this due to the capture, or post processing? I also note that there's bright ringing around his body. What caused that effect?

10. I don't mind a critique one bit UF. Thanks for keeping me honest. You caught me rushing my processing work and it was sloppy. I lost the detail in his eyes and turtle neck in the original image. I was also lazy sharpening (especially because my image was OOF - check is left eye in the original version - it needed the extra attention). I think the "bright ringing" is actually a halo from over sharpening. I guess I was a bit too eager to post a shot using the 50 1.4D. :) Thanks again for keeping me honest. Here's a redo for you.

View attachment 5564

Regards,

Joe

11. Thanks very much Gordon. The 50 1.4 is looking pretty nice so far but it's no match for the 85 1.4. That lens is in a league of it's own. :D

Regards,

Joe

12. Hi Frank. I will have plenty of samples at f1.4-2.8 since that's where I need to shoot around the house with natural light. Hopefully I'll get a few tomorrow and post 'em.

Regards,

Joe

13. Hi Todd, thanks for the kind words. The lens looks good so far. I'm looking forward to testing it at the wide end since I know that's the sharper end. I'm pretty sure my 1.8 is sharper from f8-11 based on my studio results so far. Not a problem since I was looking for a sharper lens at f2 and I'm confident the 1.4D will serve my needs.

I'll email you with details about the wedding.

Regards,

Joe

14. Thanks Neil. It's either that deadpan Calvin Klein look or a painfully fake smile. :D I'll take deadpan. :p

Regards,

Joe

15. Re: WOW

Thank you very much PhotoDawg. :)

Regards,

Joe

16. Re: Joe, You, Steven and myself should ...

Thanks Yves. It's funny you should mention a studio since I'm becoming increasingly less satisfied with the "day job" and photography is looking better and better . . . you never know.

Regards,

Joe

17. Thanks Patrick. I enjoy family shots as well. It's a bonus having 3 home grown models. :D

Regards,

Joe

18. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    That is really nice use of a wonderful lens. I have the 50mm f/1.4 and would love to pick up the 85mm.

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    He's getting more handsome all the time, Joe

Being more interested in the lighting aspect of the shot, I'm curious, did you also use a reflector for this shot? If so, which typE? I would also like to see some open aperture shots with this 50 1.4 when you get a chance.

20. Thanks Todd. I do like the 50 1.4 so far. As for the 85 1.4 - sweeeeeet. :D My favorite lens ever.

Joe