My Son

So,
My son, who is 5 years old, is getting into photography. After letting him learn how to handle my old Kodak POS with 30x optical I upgraded him for his birthday this year.

I got him a Samsung NX1000 for $299, plus a 20-55 f/3.5 zoom lens. The main reason behind this particular camera was the weight. My sons are terminally ill and their little muscles fatigue very easy. So, something light weight and sill have that "cool lens that you can zoom with", as he puts it, was important.

We setup a little photography scavenger hunt.

DSC_5567 by kopacko, on Flickr

In turn, I was surprised with his precision on timing and ability to center objects (even moving ones).

_SAM0062 by kopacko, on Flickr

View attachment 1212150
_SAM0061 by kopacko, on Flickr

View attachment 1212152
_SAM0057 by kopacko, on Flickr

View attachment 1212158
_SAM0066 by kopacko, on Flickr

View attachment 1212160
_SAM0069 by kopacko, on Flickr

I am curious, have any of y'all done this your kids?

I love the idea of a photography scavenger hunt, Jason. I plan to get each of my granddaughters a camera when they turn 6, and will definitely adopt your idea.

My sons are terminally ill and their little muscles fatigue very easy.
i'm still coming to grips with this Jason. my heart goes out to you man.

to answer your question, I use the exact same technique you are with taking photos. that can stretch to shapes, different types of shoes like boots or thongs, a bug with wings etc etc etc

once he did that we then tried the rule of thirds for framing of the same subject. right side, centre, left side, top right, bottom right then on playback we'd compare the compositions to pick a winner.

making it a challenging game is a great way to peak their interest and learn at the same time.

Dang....As a parent myself, you have my deepest prayers here....:frown:
However, I think it's absolutely fantastic that you've done this :smile:

My sons are terminally ill and their little muscles fatigue very easy. So, something light weight and sill have that "cool lens that you can zoom with", as he puts it, was important.

We setup a little photography scavenger hunt.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom