My Squirrel-proof bird feeder

I've had fun watching this guy try to get at those yummy sunflower seeds...

_JRT3967.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you can see, the cage surrounding the tube is suspended by springs, and the weight of the squirrel pulls it down and closes the openings where the birds feed.

Looking glum after another unsuccessful attempt...

_JRT3965.jpg

For several weeks the feeder has been emptied at night by some unknown bandit. I had resorted to bringing it in at dark. I had no idea what could do it as the weight of a raccoon would certainly close the feeder as it does for squirrels. But this evening, he showed up just before dark...

_D6H3723.jpg

The shepherd's crook that holds the feeder is mounted at the end of a 2x4" board that extends perpendicularly from the deck rail about 2.5 feet. That clever critter has learned to slither out on his belly until he can just reach the feeder. Then he hooks one claw into it and pulls it over to where he can sit on the rail and feast to his heart's content.

_D6H3726.jpg

So the feeder comes in every night until I can come up with a better solution.

:actions1:

Them critters.

We even have them where I am in a subdivision eating the cat food. The last time the family showed up. The outdoor cat was not pleased.

Can you get a higher pole?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I feel bad for you, Jim, but what a great story! And with photos, too!! :biggrin:

Hope you find a solution soon!

Them critters.

We even have them where I am in a subdivision eating the cat food. The last time the family showed up. The outdoor cat was not pleased.

Can you get a higher pole?

How did the cat/raccoon standoff end?

I don't want a higher pole because I need to be able to reach the feeder!

I feel bad for you, Jim, but what a great story! And with photos, too!! :biggrin:

Hope you find a solution soon!

Thanks, Lyndee. I have some ideas, but it's been raining all day and I haven't acted on them.

Hi Jim,

#2 is a really great picture.
Look at his face. He makes a plan - believe me.

Klaus

Thanks, Klaus. I think that is a young one who is just learning the ropes.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank goodness we have poles on the ground! We use the squirrel baffles and, although we have LOTS of squirrels, they can't get to the bird seeds.

Good luck!

Thank goodness we have poles on the ground! We use the squirrel baffles and, although we have LOTS of squirrels, they can't get to the bird seeds.

Good luck!

I guess that keeps the raccoons out too.

How about this Pa:

You may be able to mod your pole to just push out the pole (like the one below) far enough so he cant access it.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Esteem-60500-36-Inch-Extended/dp/B002I5NO1C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371594774&sr=8-2&keywords=bird+feeder+pole

Thanks for the tip, Don. I'll consider but I also have another idea I'm working on.

ROFL! I just feed all the critters that come into my yard - squirrels, rabbits, birds, but so far that's all. :biggrin:

I'm too cheap to feed the squirrels and raccoons. And the deer take all they want from the lawn and my wife's flowers and shrubbery. :mad:

Pa - no such thing as a squirrel-proof feeder. They only delay them for a while. :biggrin: I had one similar to yours, but eventually they figured out how to pry the bottom off of it, and all the seed fell to the ground. Then it was a squirrel feast!

We had a feeder strung between trees. For a long time the squirrels were unable to get to it. Then the great squirrelenda emerged and s/he could walk the wire to the feeder. When I put a baffle on the wire, squirrelenda figured out how to get over it. They are definitely dedicated to getting their food!

Pa - no such thing as a squirrel-proof feeder. They only delay them for a while. :biggrin: I had one similar to yours, but eventually they figured out how to pry the bottom off of it, and all the seed fell to the ground. Then it was a squirrel feast!

Too bad !

Was yours a Squirrel Buster? I don't think there is any way they can get the bottom off of this one. It is held by a recessed hex screw. Even I have trouble getting it off.

We had a feeder strung between trees. For a long time the squirrels were unable to get to it. Then the great squirrelenda emerged and s/he could walk the wire to the feeder. When I put a baffle on the wire, squirrelenda figured out how to get over it. They are definitely dedicated to getting their food!

I think this one has the squirrels stymied. The current challenge is the raccoon. Here is my latest attempt:

_D6H3734.jpg

I should find out this evening if it will work!

It probably would break, but I don't think he'll get on it. It's about 30 feet to the ground.

Landing 30 feet on soft ground wont harm a raccoon.
You can't win ... it's easier to move :biggrin:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Won't the squirrels and the raccoon be able to walk on it? Can the squirrels reach it from below as they stand on the wooden piece?

I'll keep checking back to see what you come up with!

Won't the squirrels and the raccoon be able to walk on it? Can the squirrels reach it from below as they stand on the wooden piece?

Karen, as you can see from my first post, squirrels are not a problem. When they crawl on the feeder, the cage slides down and closes off the opening. They can get nothing.

The raccoon only reached it by sliding on his belly out on the 2 x 4 extending from the deck rail. He was afraid to walk on it. I hope the 2 x 2 that is now supporting the feeder will be too narrow for him. We'll see.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I was thinking more of the squirrels standing on the board and reaching up....and no longer needed to be ON the feeder, causing it to close.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom