My stroke

Roaring back!

Had my first taste of real coffee this afternoon and I'm feeling like a tiger. Thought I'd post a few details for those few who might be interested.

My event happened on 29 April in Matera, Italy. The correct scientific title is "Spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage". Recovery prospects are excellent for those who get early medical attention. Thanks to my wonderful wife and a few strangers, I was in the neurointensive care unit of the University of Bari hospital about 8 hours later, where I was in a coma for nine days. I spent another 11 days in the hospital in Bari before being flown back to the U.S. via emergency medical evacuation: Learjet with pilot and copilot, M.D., nurse (RN), and an emergency certified medical technician.

I was admitted to the Progressive Care unit of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. After three days I was moved to the inpatient rehabilitation unit where I remain, but maybe not much longer. I expect to make a full recovery, and should be home well before July 4th.

If you're going to have something like this my recommendations are: (1) buy emergency evacuation insurance; (2) be in excellent physical condition, and (3) have a wonderful and amazing spouse like mine. She has been and continues to be a rock.

I'm not ready to post pictures yet, but it should be soon.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Wow! So glad you feel up to posting here!!!!! I've been waiting for this post! What a miracle!

We just crossed the border into Canada today. We are spending 3 days in St. John, NB before moving up to the Bay of Fundy!

Wow! So glad you feel up to posting here!!!!! What a miracle!

We just crossed the border into Canada today. We are spending 3 days in St. John, NB before moving up to the Bay of Fundy!
Hey Karen - Beth and I are so glad to hear of your progress too. We enjoyed seeing the Tidal Bore come upriver at Moncton! Good memory.

Best wishes for a full recovery, Jim! I recall you identifying a trip, but was wondering why you were not popping in as you usually do when traveling.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Jim..This post certainly comes as a shock to me. Thankfully you had wonderful support, nmiot only in the medical community but most importantly from your wife. Wives are indeed our best friends - apart from being the miracle workers that they are.

So glad to see you back in the saddle and posting again!

Before you went to Italy, you asked me about wine made from the relatively rare Susumaniello grape species because you were hoping to find that wine in the boot of Italy. While you were away from the Cafe, I came upon only my third brand of Susumaniello wine. I set it aside and promised to open it only after you returned here. Now that you have done that, I look forward to opening the bottle after supper tonight (it won't go with the supper menu) and toasting to your continued progress.

Great to have you back, Jim!

Last edited:
Wow Jim.
Glad to hear you're OK.
Hope they have you on blood thinners now.
The key is take it easy and settle down a bit.
You have always been very active but I think it's time to re-think some things.
We are not getting any younger.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom