My subjective D700 comparisons and comments.

An update on the use of Nikon's circular polarizers and their 24-70 f/2.8.

I did a quick test looking at the use of Nikon's own circular polarizer on the 24-70. Although it's impossible to compare directly due to the polarizing effect, the results were good: At f/2.8 and at both 24 and 70mm, I saw no signs of additional vignetting due to mechanical interference, nor did I see any out to f/8. So, this is good news.

Nikon's C.P. is a bit on the slim side, though not a super-slim one. It is a great polarizer. I especially like the knurling, which helps get it off your lens as well as providing a bit of grip while turning it. The coating seems tough and it's easy to keep clean.

I had a quick play around on the D700 with the 24-70 and I must say that the vignetting reports are massively overblown IMHO. Yes, if you shoot a landscape at f/2.8 it would be a problem, but why would anyone do that?

Bit baffled - its probably about -2/3 EV in the corners, but I find that's expected and acceptable, and certainly nothing we've not seen before on film.

I own the lens, and I don't consider the issue "massively overblown" at all. It's serious enough at f/2.8-f/5.6 or so to be obvious given virtually any subject. If you want vignetting, then fine, but otherwise you will see it, and a lot of it.

But my problem with it is not the ~1 stop vignetting at f/2.8, it's that, plus it's still very strong at f/4 and still quite obvious at f/5.6. One really does have to be at f/8 for it to be ignored, and even then there is a touch in the extreme corners.

If it was only a substantial problem at f/2.8 and then faded rapidly by f/4, this would be a much more user-friendly lens and I wouldn't have any serious issues with it.

I do not have a D3 so cannot compare. My vignetting problem is pretty much solely due to the polarizer. A shame as this was a very expensive polarizer. I have yet to field test my 14-24 with the D700 so cannot comment on that. I just went outdoors, bright late afternoon sun, and noticed very little vignetting with the D700/14-24 combo...

Thanks, Lanthier.

Appreciate you taking time to share your findings.

We're all entitled to our opinions. Your photo has a complex background with variable lighting that hides many ills. However, here are a two example shots taken at 24mm and 70mm at f/2.8 (no polarizer). It should be obvious which is which from the magnification of the lamp-post (the point of focus). These were exposed normally in photoshop without any attempt to exaggerate the vignetting. I've chopped off the bottom half of the photos to protect the privacy of my neighbors. There is over 1 stop of vignetting in both photos (as much as 1.5 stops in the extreme corners in one photo).

http://picasaweb.google.com/grepmat/Vignetting

Cheers.

S

scooptdoo

I pretty much agree with all you said - I too was desperately disappointed by the D300 at base ISO, blotchy blue skies, noisy reds and a clear step back from the excellence of the D200 at ISO100. Shot it for a month, and was very glad that I had a good return policy. Luckily the D700 is cut from a different cloth.

I find that ISO3200 is about my maximum on the D700. I actually think its real strength is around ISO1000-2000 where it has clear advantages over much pretty anything. I'm not bowled over by the high ISO as much as some folks, its fine, but you are loosing detail and accuity much past ISO2000 - I suspect some undeafeatable NR is kicking in around about there, and I care more about detail than noise.

Agreed about 14 vs 12-bit - its a marketing thing, not an IQ thing. I'd probably still shoot at 14-bit "just in case", but I don't think anyone has shown more than a theoretical advantage. But CF and HD space is cheap now.

I agree with your very level headed summary actually, its nice to hear some rounded comments rather than "Best thing eva..."

I also found the 24-70 a bit borderline for casual shooting, size-wise the hood doesn't help impressions there either. I have actually re-bought this lens (arriving next week I hope) and need to re-evaluate on the D700. On a DX camera, I'd pick the 17-55 f/2.8.

let me say this about your post .you agree with all you,a mean him/her says.imho its a lot of subjuective directionless posting.sorry but its true.i also have a difficult time reading about subjuective comparrisons of 3 very different camers and price targets,when you admit yourself 12 vs 14 bit is a marketing ploy?yet you can see the subtle diff tween dx ,fx .how bout olys 3/2 system?hope im not being too negative.if i am well nevermind!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom