My summer vacation (long, pix)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris101, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I added a couple days to last weekend's 3 and took a mini-vacation to southern California where I hung out by the beach.

[​IMG]

In the mornings (before the sun came out) I chased some birds along the shore.

[​IMG]

And shot some artsy still subjects too.

[​IMG]

As well as the ubiquitous California flora.

[​IMG]

Did I mention the beach?

[​IMG]

But the very best part was, on Monday, I hung out with a famous Nikon Cafe photographer and family:

[​IMG]

And here's her family. :) That's Gregory (gho) on the right, fiddling with his infra-red Sony 717. This photo is in IR too!

[​IMG]

I'd like you to think I'm being artsy with this portrait of Gregory's wife here, instead of just ignorant of how to use his SB800DX.

[​IMG]

Like the previous shot of her, this strongly backlit portrait of Ximina (they pronounced it zy-me-na) was taken with the 28-70mm f/2.8 Gregory had with him. It's a nice lens as you can see, but just a bit on the large side.

[​IMG]

2. WOW Chris!! These are really great!! Thanks for sharing!! :D :D :D

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hehehe... Those are great Chris! Thank you so much for your kind hospitality!

I like that bird shot. Surprised you didnt get more comments on it.

As far as being a "famous" Nikon Cafe photographer, I think I'm more infamous than famous...

That shot at 28mm of Ximina looks pretty strange from perspective-wise ;) Makes her head look really big and feet really small. LOL.

The IR shot is pretty cool. You can see Ximina there with my T7! I can't belive I have to fight my daughter to use my own camera! I've given up and gave her the T1 to use instead - she actually wanted the T1 since I initially bought it.

Here's a shot Ximina took of Chris with my T7:

4. Hey, chris!

Nice shots, seems you had a good time! Makes me longing for a vacation, too!

This Forum start to become a real family.

Gregory, it seems your whole family is into digital-photo. To much?

I bought a Coolpix SQ a year ago or my wife, she barely uses it.
    But now my 2 year daughter start to get interested in it.
    :lol:

Good she is to small to hold my D70, yet :wink:

5. cool vacation, way cool people, and nice series of pictures. I loved your avatar while on vac too.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Dave - Since I'm back, I'm sportin' the "psycho-killer" avatar now.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hee hee - that 28mm makes for interesting perspective when you tilt the camera down, eh? And don't you think you should check with your daughter before you write "my T7"? ;) That is a pretty slick camera. I see why you think it's yours! Well thank you for the great company and I'll see you next up in your part of the state!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Bryan and Michael, Thanks for looking at these. This wasn't really a photo vacation, so all my shots are snapshots, but I had a great time. I hope to get outa town at least once more this summer, and I aways shoot some pictures.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris,

I really like pic 6 of ximena. That is adorable of the little photog. :>))

Seaweed is great, love pics like that.

Glad you spent time with our "famous" Gregory... :>))

Thanks for sharing

10. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Chrsi,

Fun shots!! I love the flower shot, great colours mixed there!!

Reminds me I need a vacation ;)

Joel.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Joel! It was fun taking them. The bad part of vacations is that they end.

12. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nice story and really interesting shots Chris. I like the first one of the volleyballers, but you might want to get some tips from Panos as to how to make them more "interesting" ;) Seriously, I like the slightly washed out/hand-tinted look to many of the shots you post. It gives the images a whole new feel and works really well for those sunshiney beachy imagesy.*

Now about your new avatar. I like it, but I'm sure you were taught when young NOT to go putting plastic bags over your head. I'll avoid the obvious joke about improving your looks. :)

Neil

*There was a surplus of "y"s on my keyboard so this seemed like a good place to use 'em.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Neil!

I know my inability to expose correctly will pay off one day. I like Panos' 'upwards' shots of cheerleaders as much as the next guy, but my real idol at shooting birds in their natural surroundings is Jonathan. I'm telling you, hot plus drunk is just magic. But I'd prolly still over-expose 'em. :/

As for your comments on my looks, if my avatar doesn't speak for itself, let me reiterate: "Watch it bub, or I'ma gonna 'mess' you up!"

:) :shock: :lol:

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gale, thanks for your comments. I had so much fun taking these. I usually consider the photo the end product, but in this case, the taking was so much more.

I'm glad I got to spend time with Greg too - and especially his wonderful daughters and lovely wife.

15. Great Post, Chris!

I love to see "real life" pictures. Really brings people closer.

Little beautiful Ximina seems to be a very smart girl and her shot is impressive too! :D

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Enn!

Ya mean that photo of my older brother? ;)