My Sunday afternoon BYB's

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris_B, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
  2. Nice Set and I love the natural perches. Well Done!!!

3. cool set Chris!

4. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Gary and Dave.

5. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Chris, you are doing very well indeed! These are quite nice. :smile:

May I ask, did it take very long to get the hang of "long lens technique?" I had been reading up on how important it is to try to eliminate as much movement and vibration as possible, and sounded like there was a fair amount of learning curve involved - thanks.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good set Chris. I've got a few BYB to post myself when I get a chance to get them processed.

7. Very nice set Chris.

Louie

8. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Frank and Louis.

Hi Miko - thanks for the comments. I've only scratched the surface of long lens technique. I feel relatively comfortable with static subjects but birds in flight is a whole other story. I am only a weekend photog and it took me a good 4-6 months to get comfortable. The biggest things that help are a sturdy tripod and head (I have a Gitzo 1325 and a Wimberly sidekick) and I use a remote cable release. That and I steady the lens with my left hand(which is also focusing since I'm using a MF lens) and press my eye firmly against the viewfinder. After that, it is much like pistol or rifle shooting by relaxing and controlling your breathing.

All that and one more thing:

Practice, practice, practice

9. midi

midi Guest

Chris, you have some very nice birds in your garden.

10. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Dave. I put up a few feeders this winter and they have been quite active.

11. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Nice shots Chris, although I don't know why the Cardinal had to give you a hard time and turn his head like that, you need to train him better.:biggrin: - Jeff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.