My Sunday afternoon BYB's

A few from this afternoon. It was too nice of a day not to get in a few shots. All taken with the 500P +1.4TC.

Brown-headed Cowbird
76163167.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

House Finch
View attachment 86979

Female House Sparrow
View attachment 86980

Cardinal - almost a good shot but he looked the wrong way.
View attachment 86981

This was just a funny pose.
View attachment 86982

Chris, you are doing very well indeed! These are quite nice. :smile:

May I ask, did it take very long to get the hang of "long lens technique?" I had been reading up on how important it is to try to eliminate as much movement and vibration as possible, and sounded like there was a fair amount of learning curve involved - thanks.

Very good set Chris. I've got a few BYB to post myself when I get a chance to get them processed.

Thanks Frank and Louis.

Hi Miko - thanks for the comments. I've only scratched the surface of long lens technique. I feel relatively comfortable with static subjects but birds in flight is a whole other story. I am only a weekend photog and it took me a good 4-6 months to get comfortable. The biggest things that help are a sturdy tripod and head (I have a Gitzo 1325 and a Wimberly sidekick) and I use a remote cable release. That and I steady the lens with my left hand(which is also focusing since I'm using a MF lens) and press my eye firmly against the viewfinder. After that, it is much like pistol or rifle shooting by relaxing and controlling your breathing.

All that and one more thing:

Practice, practice, practice

Chris, you are doing very well indeed! These are quite nice. :smile:

May I ask, did it take very long to get the hang of "long lens technique?" I had been reading up on how important it is to try to eliminate as much movement and vibration as possible, and sounded like there was a fair amount of learning curve involved - thanks.

Nice shots Chris, although I don't know why the Cardinal had to give you a hard time and turn his head like that, you need to train him better.:biggrin: - Jeff

Latest threads

Top Bottom