My sweet Melissa...

Discussion in 'People' started by sommer, Jul 15, 2005.

1. This is my 6-year-old daughter, Melissa. I'm quite new to photography, so all comments/criticisms are welcome. Every little bit helps! The first picture is straight from my D70, just resized in PSCS2. The second is my attempt to crop....I know virtually nothing about photoshop, so any suggestions as to what I might do to improve the picture that way would be helpful as well.

Taken with my D70 with 50mm f/1.8 lens, aperture priority, f/2.8, shutter speed 1/60, ISO 200, SB600 in i-TTL mode, sReala2 custom curve

26211841_9cd8dab779.

And here's the crop...
    26211842_6aeff67e79.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Private Message Sent...Great images of Melissa. I sent a private message because it was rather lengthy.

3. Thank you, Frank! I did as you suggested...USM is a wonder! Now the images (below) look the way they did before I resized them. I also posted a flower on the macro/flowers forum and got the same advice over there :) So, I applied USM for web sharpening, amount 400%, radius 0.3 and threshold 0, and I came up with these:

26227269_9f530caf7f_o.

And the crop:
    26227268_8ef7b85a19_o.

Thanks for taking the time to PM me with the details, Frank. I appreciate it.

More comments/critique welcome...I'm learning a lot on this forum! Thank you all!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Both images are really great. What ever Frank advised, made them all that much better.

Only thing I woud add is use the clone tool and get rid it the distracting patch in upper left. You can use a lower opacity on that till you get it just right. Can go over area more than once if the opacity is lowered. Or may 100 % will work fine.

Beautiful little girl Very unusual gorgeous eyes.
    Smiling eyes, like her big smile.

5. Hi Sommer,

You have a lovely model and it looks like she's delighted to pose for you, which will speed up your learning curve considerably! ;-)

Yes, posting a bit bigger with some USM really helps your pictures come through. I personally think that you gave a little "too healthy" dose of sharpening, making the look somewhat unnatural (in the first image in particular). I would try 300%, 0.2, 0 or thereabout: the 0.2 pixel radius is what will make the biggest difference here. If you prefer 0.3, try lowering the amount to perhaps 100 to 150%.

I concur with Gale on the distracting patch. You could attempt to remove the lower left one too (it's a bit more challenging though).

6. Thanks, Gale and Philippe! I'm going to work with the USM a bit more and see how the different settings affect it....this is my first time using it, and I appreciate the input. The clone tool is next on my list! When I looked at my crop, I didn't even notice the patch on the upper left. It's so helpful to be able to post here and "see" my photo through others' eyes...I get so focused on certain parts that I fail to see the "big picture" so to speak!

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Sommer,
    Didn't I tell you that these folks here are great? Since I got PS CS2 I have been experimenting with the Smart sharpen filter instead of USM. You might give it a try. I use the lens blur option and usually use .2 for the radius and about 50 to 100 for the amount. Put a check in more accurate.

If you scroll to the bottom of this website there is a tutorial on smart sharpen. I found it very helpful.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/photoshopcs2.html

Good luck and welcome. Just try to learn something new every day and before long you'll be an expert!!!

8. Yes the guys (and girls) here are great in sharing information!

...it was here where I learned about USM for the first time myself, back in days ( :wink: :wink: 2 months ago :wink: :wink: )...

BTW Summer:
    Beautiful pictures, sommer! It's so great when your kids actually pose for a picture! (my daughter is more of a "whirlwind" at the moment :wink: )

Personally, I think the crop isn't necessary. the original composition looks very good!

You might want to take a look at this website, some very good tutorials about many subjects (download the PDF versions for more reading comfort!).

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Photography_lessons/a_about/_Teaching_composition.html

Keep up the good work, we're all awaiting your progress....... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

9. Awwwwwww........she is so cute. Priceless captures!!! :D :D :D :D

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Sommer,

Welcome to the forum, its nice to see you here.

Your daughter is very beautiful. As you can probably tell we love to capture our children here at the Cafe. Family is a big part of our cafe lives too.

Regards,