My take at Conowingo Eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Nov 26, 2005.

1. I had the privilege of meeting Jim Strathean this morning at Conowingo Dam on the Pennsylvania/ Maryland border. I would like to thank Jim for the great time he is a great guy and hope to shoot with him some more.This time of year attracts many bald eagles. It was very cold this morning in the mid 20's I guess and it was very overcast until around 10:30 when the sun finally broke through. Here are some of my shots, I will be going back soon and hoping to do much better than this. All shots taken with the D2X and the 200-400VR with 1.4 tele convertor.
    Early in the morning this juvenile perched with a freshly caught fish and ate his breakfast the sky was very overcast and had to blow out the sky to expose the bird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one was in a little better light they seemed to like the confine of the branches to keep them safe
    [​IMG]
    Then the light got much better and this juvenile started fishing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They then started to frolic and try to steal each others meals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then right before we were ready to leave a mature soared by
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last shot is not technically perfect but this guy flew so close to me I was completely startled
    [​IMG]

2. Mike
    I would love to meet you guys up there one day for around of this! these are outstanding! I am going to pop over and have a look at Jim's as well.
    Dave

3. Mike,

Great shots, really like the two flying together and the last one!

Hope we see you again in February,

Bob & Nan

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Those are absolutly AWSOME!

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Mike those are just tremendous.

When you get a chnace PM me re:Merritt III. I need to close with the hotel. Thanks

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Mike -

Sensational shots! Conowingo is about a two hour drive for me. Looks like I gotta get down there! It looks like your 200-400VR plus TC-14 gave plenty enough reach - which is good news.

Gordon

8. Sheesh, I was going to post, but why bother. Good stuff Mike!

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Outstanding images, just great
    so happy for you, so envious for me :biggrin:

10. Wow Mike. You are going to tell me your secret on how you get the exposure so perfect. Beautiful action and subjects.

11. Mike: WOW

I have never even seen a Baldie in the wild and you've got some great images of them, very well done.

The 2nd to last one would be on my wall.

12. These are really hard conditions and you exposed them perfectly! What is your secret?

13. Awesome shots, Mike!!! That young one seems to have been well trained in the art of catching fish. I'll have to wait until spring for my chance at these birds around here. Most of the lakes where they hang out are freezing over so I think they head for the coast, maybe to Brakendale BC.

14. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Awesome photos... Man I wish I had taken them...

15. Great pics Mike! I especially like how you captured the juvie fishing! My dive shot was quite soft so I may have to steal yours! :biggrin:

I know that you want to come back this coming Saturday. The long range forecast, which I know you don't like :rolleyes: , is for partly cloudy on Saturday. HOWEVER, it's Sunny for Sunday and Monday. :biggrin: If the weather guesser's are off by a day, you could have sunny days both Saturday and Sunday! Looks like temps in the 40's as well!

It was a pleasure meeting you Mike. Thanks a bunch for those pocket warmers! They were still hot when I got home. My wife wants me to get some for her now... :smile:

16. Wow Mike, what a series!
    Must be fascinating to see these beauties in the wild...

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done on the exposures Mike. You had some tough ones in this set. So what do you think of the 200-400VR with the 1.4 TC?

18. Thanks Phil I appreciate it

19. Dave
    I am heading over there this upcoming Saturday or Sunday depending on the best day weather wise, you are welcome to join me