My take from Canadian Rockies 3 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by GonzoBernelli, Jul 3, 2018.

1. I had a wonderful trip from Calgary to the Rockies with my daughter Katie 3 weeks ago today. The weather was fabulous. We visited Castle Mountain & Peyto Lake in Banff National Park and Takakaw Falls (13 th highest in the world) in Yoho National Park.

Hope you like them. There was "no color cooking" of Peyto Lake. I tried to blur Takakaw's water.

CastleMtn_10x15-100. Takakaw_V_Panorama_12x36_100.
    Peyto_Panorama16x12-100.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Feedback would be appreciated. Thx

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the 3rd one is a beauty. I like the way the lake fits into the frame, like a puzzle piece
    #2 the water looks too slow (ss) losing too much detail
    #1 I'm not a fan of tree tops as a foreground but the detail on the mountain is impressive

4. Thank you for the comments gents.

Randy,
    After nearly a thousand foot drop, water is basically mist and has no detail anyway. As to tree tops in the foreground, there were few spots where the "castle" was visible without any trees intersecting the scene. I was lucky to find an unobstructed view with a tree on either side to frame the mountain. Getting any closer would destroy the perspective and the Bow River was just below my shooting location.

5. Beautiful country. My favorite is #3 where the lake water looks glacial in origin.

6. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Beautiful series and I like them all. My Vancouver friends are trying to persuade me to come up there so that we can all go to Banff. After seeing these images, I don't think they'll have to do much persuading!

7. Let's try and get whole bunch of us to meet at the same time .. . .. . yes!

• Like Like x 1
  8. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Now that would be cool! And I haven't forgotten about the Palouse. I've been looking at my calendar trying to see when I can get up there... :) 

9. Meeting up in Cannukistan would be great.

10. ????

11. Temba

Temba

Dec 29, 2008
    Southern ON.CA
    ????
    The Great White North

12. I live in the Great White North as well..not sure why the reference to "Cannukistan"!

13. Just my warped sense of humor. :confused:  Hope I didn't offend. I think it's a remnant memory from listening to Prairie Home Companion for all those years!

14. I have to admit Nick that I was taken aback by the reference as the name had been used recently as a derogatory reference to Canada on certain social forums. I'm certain that was not your intention here. It's just that I've been a little reactive in my interactions with others in these social forums - especially when these interactions denigrate to political bad mouthing between the participants. The term "Cannukistan" has been used negatively on these forums. I'm good now and knowing it's you - no offence taken.

15. Bertha's Kitty Boutique was a "sponsor" of Prairie Home Companion, It was located in "The Dales". Minneapolis, you see, has the honor of being the home of the First Large Indoor Mall ---- Southdale was considered the prototype, followed by Rosedale, Brookdale, Ridgedale, and so forth. To which the show added Clydesdale, Chippendale, Airedale, and finally Mondale (in honor of native son, VP, Fritz Mondale). A guest on the show did the same thing with "istan" adding it to many names, and it's stuck with me ever since. One little grey cell that refuses to give up :rolleyes: 

16. It's all good Nick

17. More Info: All shot at ISO 64
    Takakaw shot with Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4, 1/320, f8
    Castle shot with Nikon 105mm f1.4, "mixed exposure" What does this "mixed" mean? It is a single frame.
    Peyto shot with Zeiss Milvus 35mm f1.4, 1/160, f11

CORRECTION, Takakaw blurring was a failure - image shown was unblurred by me, just physics of falling water.

18. Maybe it is an Adobe “feature”, but instead of listing f- stop and shutter speed the meta data display in Lightroom shows “mixed” on the Castle Mountain shot. Has anyone encountered this with their D850/Nikon 105mm f1.4 combination?

19. Great shots ... and I think you were standing in my "spot" for 1 & 3 !!!:)  We've been to the Banff area on two occasions so far, and were just talking about another trip next year. Thanks for sharing!!

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.