My take on CS2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tweber, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    I just got my copy of CS2. I've read a few not so positive comments, as I suppose many are mad that the ACR isn't up to date on DX2 nefs yet. Well, I just want to say I'm thrilled so far. The new bridge program is just head over heals better than the file viewer. Having it open as a separate program is so darn convenient. I'm also noticing CS2 seems to run faster overall.
    Finally, for now, the new smart sharpen looks very good.

So, that's my very brief take.

Tom

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Tom, I can see where having the file browser mode independent, as a stand alone program, will be much better than a dialog box!

The thing I'm worries me is how well is Bridge integrated with ACR and PS? I do more than half of my workflow by applying actions and acr settings from the 'automate' menu of the File Browser. Does this look easy to do?

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Tom, that bridge is the #1 reason I'm upgrading. I looks like it works like Kodak's photodesk and Nikon's reeeaaaaaly slow multi-view thing. What I want to be able to do is WB off one frame and apply it to others, same with things like exposure compensation and curves and stuff.

The old file browser didn't do that, and being embedded in PS was a pain to access. A seperate app is much better, as I can have it on my 3rd monitor.

4. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Chris,

I just took a look by hooking up to my home PC. The menu for bridge is integrated with PS. You can launch batch and a number of other PS functions from within the program.

Tom

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Tom. It sounds pretty versatile. I'm mostly concerned with how ACR hooks into the thumbnail browser, and I'll have the opportunity to experience it soon.

Gregory,

Actually PSCS does allow me to process one file and apply the steps to other files from the File Browser window, using the Automate menu (little menu in the FB window.) It's that workflow that I'm afraid of loosing, or more likely, needing retrained on how it's done, as I'm pretty confident they wouldn't make the new one less powerful than the old one.

Do you have yours (CS2) yet? I'm gonna wait until Friday (payday!) and get three (equally important) things:
    1. PSCS2
    2. Mac OSX.4
    3. See The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :p

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yeah, I use the automate thing a lot, but it seems overly cumbersome. I like the way photodesk allows this type of operation. Nikon capture does it to, but oh, man its sooooo slow that it's almost painful to use.

From what I've seen of the Bridge is that it allows you to do the same functionallity but with enhanced features, and it allows you to apply RAW settings to multiple RAW files (that's what I'm interested in). The current ACR only allows you to work on one RAW file at a time.

I haven't tried the automate function with ACR because I'm more of a visual person, and I like seeing the little thumbnails and how much correction to do to each file.

My copy is on the way and should be here friday. We'll see how it goes. We don't get much of a chance to get out and watch movies (kids) so I have to wait till it comes out on DVD - looking forward to it though.