My tennis club shots

The club I play at (only started tennis 3 years ago for something different) asked me to take some shots at their end-of-season club champs. Thought I'd try some tightish shots and was relatively happy with the results. All 70-200/f2.8. Comments and crit welcome.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. (It's amazing to see the strings moving on this one)

5. (No ball in this one but I like his follow-through and face)

nice work, you caught the ball well. perhaps try bolting the lens to 200 and trying for really tight facial expression shots.

#2 and #4 could do with a little cropping to take out the excess and tighten them right up.

i like backlighting when shooting tennis. i find the cyclone wire fences slightly less annoying contre-jour.

nice work, you caught the ball well. perhaps try bolting the lens to 200 and trying for really tight facial expression shots.

#2 and #4 could do with a little cropping to take out the excess and tighten them right up.

i like backlighting when shooting tennis. i find the cyclone wire fences slightly less annoying contre-jour.
Thanks mate. Not sure how much cropping room I've got left in those ones, I'll check.

Back-lighting: I get really dark faces, though I see what you mean about the fence. I'm surprised how dark your fence is seeing as you have to open up to get the player bright enough.

Back-lighting: I get really dark faces, though I see what you mean about the fence. I'm surprised how dark your fence is seeing as you have to open up to get the player bright enough.
aha, perhaps i should admit to sprinkling some photoshop pixi-dust around to darken down the background. :biggrin:

and yes, i did expose for her face.

edit: i just nabbled pic 2 from your set and played around a little. it would be better to be working on the base file straight from the camera, but you should get the idea.

just so we're clear: you take some lovely tennis frames. imho: just get a little tighter and try to kill the backgrounds either by shade, backlighting or throwing it completely out of focus.

Cheers Sambo, appreciate the feedback and the cheat! Not sure I would do that for all the hundreds I took, but they're gonna put some on the wall so I may play with those.

Everyone else here obviously thinks they're perfect!! :wink:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom