My thoughts on the Z50 and kit lenses (Image heavy)

I got my Z50 last fall. Last weekend I was able to give it a great workout on a family trip. My daughter and her husband have access to his parents' beautiful second home in St. George, Utah. We were able to spend a little time there with them safely during Covid. Vacationing with kids is always an adventure. I have always liked small and light gear to take on these sorts of outings. I had an Olympus E-M5 for several years that I used on these types of trips, then I briefly had a D5600 for a small and light camera. I always felt I was making compromises when I used those cameras over my full frame cameras. I am so pleased with the Z50. On this trip I only used it outdoors with the two kit lenses. The glass isn't really fast enough for low light shooting handheld. But outdoors, I was so impressed with the sharpness of the images. I am very happy with this setup as a travel camera. I am not able to carry around heavier gear. This is so small and light that I never did have any back or shoulder issues.

Here are a few shots that show what kind of shooting I did with it. This was just the run and gun type of photography that you do when you have three kids ages 6, 4, and 2 with you.

We get to go back for a week in March.....I can't wait! Winter gets very long in Idaho.

1. Greg trying to keep up with the kids.
DSC_3545-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Snow Canyon Hike
DSC_3060.jpg

3. Keeping "puppy" safe
DSC_3062.jpg

4. Rock climbing with "puppy"
DSC_3085-Edit.jpg

5. Fun times on the sand dunes
DSC_3161.jpg

6. Pretty desert colors
DSC_3254.jpg

7. Pool fun at the house
DSC_3366.jpg

8. My other grandma bought me a really fun toy to play on
DSC_3405-Edit.jpg

9. January in Zion NP
DSC_3423-Edit.jpg

10. Deer in Zion NP
DSC_3433-Edit.jpg

11. A hint of snow on the cliffs in Zion NP
DSC_3540-Edit.jpg

12. Beautiful colors
DSC_3557.jpg

13. Beautiful Snow Canyon
DSC_3112.jpg

What a wonderful set of images! You have such gorgeous scenery, even in wintertime, and it looks as though the whole family enjoyed your time on your little vacation together.
Thanks, Connnie. It took us about 8 hours of driving to get to St. George. I wish we lived closer. It is so beautiful there. We sure did have fun with the kids. It was a much needed time in a warmer place.

A lovely set Terri

It looks as though you have mastered the Z50, and such a beautiful place to put it through its paces. Well done, and thanks for sharing your vacation with us

Real Name
Dan
Nice set of images, Terri. "Kit" lenses often get a bad rap. Maybe deserved in years past but many inexpensive modern lenses are pretty darn good. Any "flaws" only become apparent through pixel peeping or poster size prints.

Great set of images Terri... 👍 You'd have to be really happy with this lightweight setup with the kit lenses.
These days kit lenses do an incredible job, and no one could complain about the quality of any of these lovely shots you've posted.

Really nice images Terri.
I don't understand why the Nikon Z50 is not as popular as the Sony A6000.
I own both and much prefer the Z50 to the A6000.

Nice set of images, Terri. "Kit" lenses often get a bad rap. Maybe deserved in years past but many inexpensive modern lenses are pretty darn good. Any "flaws" only become apparent through pixel peeping or poster size prints.
Thank you. I agree. These images are good enough for what I want to use them for. The light weight nature of this gear is worth so much to me!

Very well done, Terri. I especially like #13.

You know I agree with you on the Z50. I had been thinking for the last 1.5 years that when we finally get back to traveling my kit would be my Z6 and the yet to be released 24-105. But after several months with a Z50 I may decide to just stick with it, perhaps including a second body so I don't have to change lenses.

Very well done, Terri. I especially like #13.

You know I agree with you on the Z50. I had been thinking for the last 1.5 years that when we finally get back to traveling my kit would be my Z6 and the yet to be released 24-105. But after several months with a Z50 I may decide to just stick with it, perhaps including a second body so I don't have to change lenses.
Your love of the camera really helped me decide to get it. I trust your opinions. Two Z50s and the kit lenses would make a really nice travel kit. You would have a lot more reach with the 50-250 vs. the 105mm long end of the 24-105. I love my Z6, but if I really think about it, I would have to admit that I get more joy from my Z50. It's just so small and light! I need to try it more with my 50 f1.8 to see how I feel about the low light shooting of the Z50. It's very good with my 35 f1.8 and FTZ. I feel very blessed to have such nice gear that does what I want it to do.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom