My thoughts on the Z50 and kit lenses (Image heavy)

Your love of the camera really helped me decide to get it. I trust your opinions. Two Z50s and the kit lenses would make a really nice travel kit. You would have a lot more reach with the 50-250 vs. the 105mm long end of the 24-105. I love my Z6, but if I really think about it, I would have to admit that I get more joy from my Z50. It's just so small and light! I need to try it more with my 50 f1.8 to see how I feel about the low light shooting of the Z50. It's very good with my 35 f1.8 and FTZ. I feel very blessed to have such nice gear that does what I want it to do.

My favorite travel lens for the D7200 has been the DX 16-80 f/2.8-4.0. I really like that range. I've tried that lens with the FTZ on my Z50, and it makes superb images but it feels a bit awkward. Nevertheless, it would still be a consideration for travel.

My favorite travel lens for the D7200 has been the DX 16-80 f/2.8-4.0. I really like that range. I've tried that lens with the FTZ on my Z50, and it makes superb images but it feels a bit awkward. Nevertheless, it would still be a consideration for travel.
It would be fun to see some photos taken with the combination.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I'm really impressed with technical quality of the images, the kit lenses do very well in good hands like yours. They are sharp, and with very nice Nikon colors. The landscape shots are excellent, and would print well in larger sizes.

I shoot a Canon M5 for an even smaller travel rig, but I do like the output you have here from the Z50, HMMMM

Terri, Jim, Phil and a few others here have shown me what the Z50 is capable of. So I just purchased a Z50 kit from a member here. Also being a Z mount makes it more versatile when combined with my S lenses that I have for my Z6.

I'm really impressed with technical quality of the images, the kit lenses do very well in good hands like yours. They are sharp, and with very nice Nikon colors. The landscape shots are excellent, and would print well in larger sizes.

I shoot a Canon M5 for an even smaller travel rig, but I do like the output you have here from the Z50, HMMMM
I have been really happy with the camera. I'm sure the Canon does a fine job as well!!

Terri, Jim, Phil and a few others here have shown me what the Z50 is capable of. So I just purchased a Z50 kit from a member here. Also being a Z mount makes it more versatile when combined with my S lenses that I have for my Z6.
Enjoy!! I haven't used my S lenses from the Z6 much yet, but I need to test them out. The image stabilization on the kit lenses is very good.

F64

Real Name
Greg
It's always great to be in a place where shots abound in every direction you point your camera. You have some lovely shots here - glad the kids could enjoy themselves as well.
I love my Z50 and kit lenses as well. I shoot a lot of pictures of the grandkids indoors, and have no problem shooting handheld and boosting the ISO to 2000-3000 for excellent pictures I was never able to get with any other APS-C camera before this.
I also have a Z7II which would have been great for your location - I'm jealous,...

It's always great to be in a place where shots abound in every direction you point your camera. You have some lovely shots here - glad the kids could enjoy themselves as well.
I love my Z50 and kit lenses as well. I shoot a lot of pictures of the grandkids indoors, and have no problem shooting handheld and boosting the ISO to 2000-3000 for excellent pictures I was never able to get with any other APS-C camera before this.
I also have a Z7II which would have been great for your location - I'm jealous,...
Thank you! I’ll have to try it more indoors. I usually just use my Z6 when I am inside.

Terri,
Great photos...!

I too, am a big fan of the z50. With the 16-50 pancake lens, it fits easily into a coat or jacket pocket. As a result, it is so easy to bring it with you at all times.

This is the camera that I have always wanted. I had a Nikon 1 system, followed by a Sony Nex 6. Neither of these came close to what the z50 has to offer. I still love my D750, but this wee guy is busier these days.

Very well done, Terri. I especially like #13.

You know I agree with you on the Z50. I had been thinking for the last 1.5 years that when we finally get back to traveling my kit would be my Z6 and the yet to be released 24-105. But after several months with a Z50 I may decide to just stick with it, perhaps including a second body so I don't have to change lenses.

I've been pretty tempted to get a Z50 for just this reason -- travel. I only wish the batteries and cards were the same across the Z50 and the Z6, but I suppose this isn't too much of a negative.

I've otherwise been tinkering around with options to make my Z6 smaller and lighter for occasions that call for it. I tried using the DX 16-50mm lens on it but didn't love the drop in megapixels on that camera (but I imagine it would be a great option on a Z7). I have since moved to the FX 24-50 and have found it to be refreshingly small and light for hikes and cityscape attempts, without too much compromise. Ultimately I'll add the 28 and 40mm compacts, but it occurs to me that those two lenses would be nice options on the Z50 as well.

Terri, this is very impressive. I was checking the prices, and so reasonable for the quality of the pictures! I know what you mean about getting more joy from the Z50. I really miss the days when I carried my Coolpix 4500 everywhere in my purse and had so much fun with it. I like colors of the moss(?) on the tree. I was wondering what post-processing went into these pictures.

Great set of images Terri... 👍 You'd have to be really happy with this lightweight setup with the kit lenses.
These days kit lenses do an incredible job, and no one could complain about the quality of any of these lovely shots you've posted.

Thank you. I certainly agree with you about the kit lenses. They are so much better than they used to be.

Terri,
Great photos...!

I too, am a big fan of the z50. With the 16-50 pancake lens, it fits easily into a coat or jacket pocket. As a result, it is so easy to bring it with you at all times.

This is the camera that I have always wanted. I had a Nikon 1 system, followed by a Sony Nex 6. Neither of these came close to what the z50 has to offer. I still love my D750, but this wee guy is busier these days.
I agree 100%.

I've been pretty tempted to get a Z50 for just this reason -- travel. I only wish the batteries and cards were the same across the Z50 and the Z6, but I suppose this isn't too much of a negative.

I've otherwise been tinkering around with options to make my Z6 smaller and lighter for occasions that call for it. I tried using the DX 16-50mm lens on it but didn't love the drop in megapixels on that camera (but I imagine it would be a great option on a Z7). I have since moved to the FX 24-50 and have found it to be refreshingly small and light for hikes and cityscape attempts, without too much compromise. Ultimately I'll add the 28 and 40mm compacts, but it occurs to me that those two lenses would be nice options on the Z50 as well.
Isn't it nice that we have such great options. The Z6 isn't terribly heavy. I love that camera, too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom