My Tokina 11-16....matrix only exposure issue

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by shooter711, Aug 20, 2008.

1. shooter711

shooter711

Feb 28, 2008
    pleasanton
    exposes a FULL stop over in all Matrix metering...but is DEAD ON in spot or center exposures....what gives?

Any ideas....

Guy with a 100 macro had a similar overexposure issue with 2 samples, till he gave up on Tokina...

Hints...suggestions???

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I didn't notice that with my copy, on a D200 and D300.

Did you check in an environment with even lighting? i.e., background is about same brightness as center?

3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I have been wondering that about *all* my lenses. But I think it's because I fiddled with something in camera and can't remember what, so I have weird exposure issues. Could that be it?

4. What body? Very wide angle lenses are usually best for center weighted mode, because most of the time the main subject is in the center.

5. Does this happen if you point the camera at a grey card filling the frame?

My instinct is that exposures will be identical between spot,matrix and center in the above scenario.

Unless the lens has a mechanical defect (ie aperture blades not closing quickly enough, or mis-calibrated level) the lens doesn't have a whole lot to do with exposure.

6. shooter711

shooter711

Feb 28, 2008
    pleasanton
    This is on a D300. Confirmed against white and gray walls....I agree exposures should be identical but they are not. Lens is overexposing significantly in Matrix mode...any ideas other than back to Tokina?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.