My top 10 for 2011, and explanations of each.

Here's my favorites, and a brief explanation of each and why. Ok I couldn't just pick 10... :redface:
All shot with the D90, in no particular order.

Shot with the 35 ƒ1.8, @1.8.
Taken on the beach in newport oregon, in late November.
I like the perfect, yet unsymmetrical rolling wind lines, fading into the out of focus areas. It brings the idea to my mind of time, where we've been, where we're going, and the assurance that time will keep moving, no matter what we do to stop it.

6605675291_c7dbda4401_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0263 by Max713, on Flickr

Taken with the 35 ƒ1.8, @1.8.
The girl that got away... no need to explain more than that.

6562623747_29eabcb4dc_b.jpg

_DSC0320 by Max713, on Flickr

Taken with the 70-200VR, @ƒ2.8.
My beautiful sister in my parents backyard, with her very cute pup Sadie-Jo.
She's accomplished a lot in her 19 years, and I know she will do great things, and go far. The pup, was acquired by accident, by a boy "friend" that didn't the know work that went into having a puppy. Sadie now stays at the parents place, she's the most energetic and loving little dog I've ever meet, glad she's now part of the family.
Love you little sister.

6397375697_eaf49748c5_b.jpg

_DSC0003 by Max713, on Flickr

Shot with the 70-200VR, @ƒ2.8.
Taken at the 2011 Young riders benefit near Centralia WA. This was my third paid event of my photo career, I was covering horse showing events, hired on by a pro photographer. I had a lot of fun at these, and will do it again this year! This young woman went to win her class, this was her final jump, notice her focus and determination in her eyes, even over the very last jump.

6024236848_c4a68a8f68_b.jpg

_DSC0812 by Max713, on Flickr

Taken with the 35 ƒ2 Ai, @ƒ2.
I was a part of a great project this year, "Seeing the world through a single lens." This project opened my eyes to the world of MF, and how fun it can be. I loved this lens, and might just pick one up someday. This was my favorite shot from the week with the lens. It makes me think of the idea of fears, and how nearly everyone has them, lurking somewhere in the shadows of their consciences. In reality, this was my pet for a short while this year, and 8 foot Coastal carpet python, Scarlett. A beautiful animal!

5910177711_f9e6e427c1_b.jpg

_DSC7252 by Max713, on Flickr

Shot with the 70-200VR, @ƒ4.
I'm a car nut at heart, and when I spotted this beauty sitting among the horse trailers at an event, I just had to snap some shots, while being careful not to drool on the perfect red paint... I love the clarity of this shot, and those monstrous rotors are enough to make any motor heads legs weak.

6020648466_b7639abfac_b.jpg

In the Rough by Max713, on Flickr

Shot with the 70-200VR, @ƒ4.
My roomates (pain in the ***) dog Kaeto. Taken on the beach in Newport. This shot doesn't have much sentimental or emtional value, I just think he is a beautiful dog, and I love this shot of him.

6310381438_c364fda535_b.jpg

_DSC9371 by Max713, on Flickr

Taken with the 35 ƒ1.8, @ƒ5.
Again, on the beach in Newport OR. I've always wanted to grab a shot like this, and that day everything just seemed to come together; the quick blowing wind coupled with the dry sand from days without rain, the overcast skys, the huge surf, and of course the mysterious gorgeous girl starring off into the ocean. The girl being the one who got away...

6457613563_114a3dd644_b.jpg

_DSC0183 by Max713, on Flickr

The case of the curious squirrel, in my small suburban backyard in early fall. It was untypically warm outside. I sat to watch the squirrels chatter for a while, after grabbing the camera and going in for a close look (@200mm), the squirrel became all too curious of what this huge shiny eye connected to an oddly shaped over sized rodent was doing pointing at him. The cute simplicity of an animals life...
He's just lucky he was within city limits ;)

6373071647_9a122a66ab_b.jpg

_DSC9630 by Max713, on Flickr

Taken with the 70-200VR, @ƒ5.6.
My first "successful" mountain portrait. I've tried many times, and failed many more, but I am honestly proud of this shot.
It comes from Sisters OR, my home town, my home. These mountains watched me grow from a very young age, and I sorely miss being able to look out the window to these every morning, although I surely don't miss the cold!

6401918753_1a7aff398a_b.jpg

_DSC0118 by Max713, on Flickr

Taken at the same time as my mountain portrait. Again, no sentimental value with this one, although it marks one of my most proud DOF shots. Since acquiring the 70-200VR, I've become obsessed with ultra thin DOF shots, I feel I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, and I feel this shot illustrates that well.

6541562423_eed4a404c0_b.jpg

_DSC0681 by Max713, on Flickr

This was my first ever sporting even other than equestrian events, and I didn't even get paid for it! :wink:
Actually, this was a scrimmage at my college, in late summer. It was a slow summer day, and my roommate on the team invited me out to get out of the house, more likely he wanted some good shots of himself.
I like this shot in particular, for the dust flying from the catchers glove, and the obvious concentration of both people in frame. It was a warm, windless day, making for some great shooting weather, and some great opportunities for cool shots like this!

6631970191_bd65d6796c_b.jpg

_DSC8508 by Max713, on Flickr

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom