My Top 5 Images for Discussion

I find it difficult to choose my five favorite images...probably because I photograph a wide variety of subject matter. Another thing that makes choosing so difficult is that many of my photographs are captured during my travels...and I enjoy most of my trips equally. I maintain a Top 40 on my website...so I for this thread I then chose just 5 from that larger collection.

Here we go...

1- This is the St. Joseph's Lighthouse in Michigan. On this particular evening, the temperature was about 10 degrees. The waves from Lake Michigan hit against the lighthouse and form into ice. I had to put some spikes over my boots to walk out of the other pier for this shot. More than one person has fallen into the lake and died while walking out to this lighthouse! In the interest of full disclosure, the moon was not in this position during the photo shoot. I moved it into this position during post processing--so it's a compilation. I don't to this often!
DSC_6162-Edit-Edit2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- This is captured from the summit of Steptoe Butte in the Palouse. I stayed in nearby Colfax, Washington and made the trip to the summit three times: two sunsets and one sunrise. I was fortunate to get about 30 seconds of great light during the sunrise...and had my composition selected and ready to go. I used the 500mm lens to compress this scene. I find that most of my favorite images are captured at the extremes: super wide angle lenses and long telephotos!
_DSC7615-Edit.jpg

3- This is a staircase inside of the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art. I happened to be walking by the museum and noticed that it was a free admission day. So I stepped inside to see if there was anything of interest to photograph. Naturally, this staircase caught my eye! I wasn't permitted to bring my tripod into the museum--so this was a handheld shot (something I don't generally like to do). Also, this was captured with a fisheye lens...again going to the extreme focal lengths.
DSC_1769-Editbw.jpg

4- This is Long Pine Key Lake in the Everglades...at 14mm. I was visiting the Everglades and camped near the shore of this lake. In the morning, I hiked around the lake in the dark (before sunrise) to get to this location--which I had scouted the day before. I was quite concerned about alligators!
_DSC0048-HDR-Edit.jpg

5- This image is of an ice cave in Iceland. I always wanted to photograph an ice cave. This image was quite a challenge...it was a 30 second exposure. About 25 seconds into the exposure, a group of people entered the cave. Fortunately, the exposure was long enough that they didn't record in the frame--and it was the last image I was able to get as the cave was soon filled with people! This was captured with a fisheye lens.
2018-02-21 Ice Cave 0023-Edit-Edit.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Well chosen! I didn't think you would be able to pick just 5 given your vast portfolio of excellent images.

I'm quite taken by #3. I don't recall seeing that image.

Of course I love #5. Nicely done.

I was suprised that no baseball portrait made the cut.

Glenn, I figured you would have a tough time choosing your top 5 for this post as all your images are exceptional. 1, 2 & 5 are outstanding.

Fabulous, as expected. Now if you can do it (pick 5) anyone can! Also happy to see the Palouse make the cut— though I'm biased! The first one is an incredible shot!
Thanks Nick...the Palouse is certainly a world-class landscape location!
@gnagel .. you have chosen well. Superb images.
Thank you, Walter
Well chosen! I didn't think you would be able to pick just 5 given your vast portfolio of excellent images.

I'm quite taken by #3. I don't recall seeing that image.

Of course I love #5. Nicely done.

I was surprised that no baseball portrait made the cut.
Thanks Mitch...I enjoy capturing baseball portraits and one of my nephew nearly made the cut. This year was the first year in a long time that I didn't shoot any baseball portraits--just another fallout from COVID!
Like Mitch, the monochrome image stops me in my tracks and I don't remember seeing it before.

Glenn -- Please be sure to copy your first post in this thread into the master thread that doesn't allow responses: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/post-your-top-5-images-of-all-time.323958/
Thanks Mike...I just copied the post to the thread you referenced.
These are all delightful, Glenn.
Thanks!
Glenn, I figured you would have a tough time choosing your top 5 for this post as all your images are exceptional. 1, 2 & 5 are outstanding.
Thank you, Shekhar
Wonderful all of them!
Thanks very much, Alex

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Excellent choices, Glenn! I recognize all of these....because each of them is THAT memorable! #3 is simply outstanding! And how could I forget #5! LOL!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
All seen before, all stunning, all incredible. I had an extremely hard time picking 5, I cannot fathom you doing it.

Excellent choices, Glenn! I recognize all of these....because each of them is THAT memorable! #3 is simply outstanding! And how could I forget #5! LOL!
Thanks Karen...as you know, that ice cave in #5 is actually a lot smaller than it looks in the photograph!
They all are beautiful Glen.
Thank you, Mike
All seen before, all stunning, all incredible. I had an extremely hard time picking 5, I cannot fathom you doing it.
Thanks Wade
If I had to pick a favorite it would be 1, then 2.
Thank you, Allan
Wow, very artistic images.
Beautiful,real pleasure for my eyes.
Awesome works. :)
Thanks...much appreciated.
Excellent images Glenn.
Thank you, Binnur

Glenn

Wow.
That is a word I rarely use, although I use it here at NikonCafe more than anywhere else.
These images are all terrific.
At least for me, #1 is spectacular. If that is what photography is supposed to capture I think I will put my camera in a box and go do something else. Just spectacular.
Luckily for me, I like the old adage from John Audubon: "The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang the best.”
So, I think I will still go shoot, but I am going to have to up my game.
Thanks for sharing
By the way, great minds think alike. About the only thing I will move around in an image is the moon. It really really really works here.
Gary

Each image is outstanding and special in its own way. It would be difficult for anyone to pick there favorite from this group of excellent images. I'm thinking #5 might have a slight edge just based on the difficulty of the shot.

Latest threads

Top Bottom