1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My trip on the Skimmer --Salt Marsh Safari

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, Jul 6, 2005.

1. As EdMac already posted, we had a fun time this past weekend on the Skimmer salt-marsh cruise out of Cape May, NJ. The captain had talked me into taking the evening cruise because the tides would be best; but as we found, the light was rapidly sinking and for photography, a morning trip would have been better. Still, we got some great looks at nesting terns and gulls and of course the ubiquitous ospreys. As Ed indicated, taking photos on a bouncing boat with fading light is a challenge, even for a VR lens!

I only got a few shots worth noting. Here are a couple of a Laughing Gull with their cute babies. The gulls are used to people here (they take handouts at the beach!) so let you get quite close.

These two with D100, 80-400VR handheld with fill flash--ISO 500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm almost embarrased to post the ospreys after the great shots we've seen here from those Florida folks--but what the heck. I like the look on their faces.

[​IMG]

This last one isn't a bird (although there is a bird in it.) I made the BIG mistake of trying out Ed's 70-200VR lens. Wow! He was lucky I gave it back to him. Its a lot lighter and smaller than I'd thought it would be. This is just a grab shot, but I liked it (sky color enhanced in post). 1/1000, F5.6, ISO 200

[​IMG]

All in all a good time was had!

2. Lookin Good

Hi Janet,

I really like that shot of the mother Gull and her two chicks. Yes it was a good test of the 80-400 and VR. Next time, we need to take the morning cruise.

I am glad that you liked the 70-200 VR. For a while there, I thoght I was becoming the owner of 2 80-400 lenses lol :wink: .

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Janet,

You are too modest. Never apologize for great pictures. :wink:

4. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice captures Janet! very cute. :) 

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Janet and Ed a job well done in a tough situation..

Ed that is dangerous territory to lend the 70-200 VR.. Janet will have one for sure :>))

right Janet.

Glad you both got together and had a good time.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Janet!! I'll be looking for your posts in the Lens Lust forum on the 70-200 --- you know you need one now!!!!!!!!

7. Beautiful, Janet!! I love the first and last shots!! :D  :D  :D 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.