My trip on the Skimmer --Salt Marsh Safari

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, Jul 6, 2005.

1. As EdMac already posted, we had a fun time this past weekend on the Skimmer salt-marsh cruise out of Cape May, NJ. The captain had talked me into taking the evening cruise because the tides would be best; but as we found, the light was rapidly sinking and for photography, a morning trip would have been better. Still, we got some great looks at nesting terns and gulls and of course the ubiquitous ospreys. As Ed indicated, taking photos on a bouncing boat with fading light is a challenge, even for a VR lens!

I only got a few shots worth noting. Here are a couple of a Laughing Gull with their cute babies. The gulls are used to people here (they take handouts at the beach!) so let you get quite close.

These two with D100, 80-400VR handheld with fill flash--ISO 500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm almost embarrased to post the ospreys after the great shots we've seen here from those Florida folks--but what the heck. I like the look on their faces.

[​IMG]

This last one isn't a bird (although there is a bird in it.) I made the BIG mistake of trying out Ed's 70-200VR lens. Wow! He was lucky I gave it back to him. Its a lot lighter and smaller than I'd thought it would be. This is just a grab shot, but I liked it (sky color enhanced in post). 1/1000, F5.6, ISO 200

[​IMG]

All in all a good time was had!

2. Lookin Good

Hi Janet,

I really like that shot of the mother Gull and her two chicks. Yes it was a good test of the 80-400 and VR. Next time, we need to take the morning cruise.

I am glad that you liked the 70-200 VR. For a while there, I thoght I was becoming the owner of 2 80-400 lenses lol :wink: .

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Janet,

You are too modest. Never apologize for great pictures. :wink:

4. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice captures Janet! very cute. :)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Janet and Ed a job well done in a tough situation..

Ed that is dangerous territory to lend the 70-200 VR.. Janet will have one for sure :>))

right Janet.

Glad you both got together and had a good time.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Janet!! I'll be looking for your posts in the Lens Lust forum on the 70-200 --- you know you need one now!!!!!!!!

7. Beautiful, Janet!! I love the first and last shots!! :D :D :D