My trip to the Bosque del Apache

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Rosenberg, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad I was able to go to the Bosque del Apache for a day last week. I'm heading back this weekend with the Albuquerque photo club to try to do better.

I've put a gallery on my new photo hosting service: http://kevin.hypershots.com/gallery/0000r5b7

Kevin

2. Nice shots Kevin, and welcome to the Cafe' ! That seems to be a place one should go :rolleyes: Would luv to shoot there for a couple , or three or 7 days. LOL............... look forward to seeing more

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Man oh Man

I really missed not going here this year.

Thanks for bringing me a few shots of the Bosque beauty :)

4. Thanks for sharing will make it there one of these days

5. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Thanks very much, Keith. I'm fortunate to live nearby and looking forward to going back this weekend.

6. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    And thanks to you, Jim. It was your notice about the like-new used 500/4 AFSII from Newtonville Camera that helped me get closer to those birds. :wink:

If you decide to venture this way, shoot an email to me. I'd like to join you if schedules permit.

7. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Thanks Mike. It's great being surrounded by so many subjects. Count when I was there was 11K sand hill cranes, 26K canadian snow geese, 46K ducks.

8. Nice shots. Sure hope I can get there one of these days.

9. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Thanks, Jim. The Bosque is a real treat.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh, yes Kevin. Very nicely done.

Welcome to the Cafe. :smile:

11. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Thanks very much, Frank. I'm still working on learning long lens techniques so I can get my shutter speed down with the D2X and the new 500/4 AFSII. There are some very helpful threads here on the Cafe on this subject as you know.

I appreciate the welcome. The congeniality of the Cafe quite refreshing compared the the trollish behavior at most other photo forums.:smile:

12. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Hey Kevin,
    Very nice shots. I just happen to be going there this weekend myself. Any tips to pass along? I have not been there before. I also will be bringing my newly acquired 500 4. Should be a blast. Thanks.

13. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Thanks, Chip. You want to be there at sunrise and sunset. I'll be driving down from Albuquerque Saturday morning planning to arrive at 6am. I'd recommend the main pond (by the flight deck) for the morning geese flyout. I'll then go to some of the crane pools outside the tour loop for the crane flyouts. I'll then go around the tour loop looking for eagles, coyotes, and other wildlife. After a few hour lunch, I'll return around 3pm to shoot until sunset. The main pond at the flight deck at sunset is heavily used by photographers for the crane landings.

Congratulations on the 500/4. This week was my first use of it beyond test shots. I had much better results with this lens and the D2X than with the 200-400/4VR I used last year.

Kevin

14. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks Kevin. Just about what I have been told re the Bosque. We are getting there Thurs afternoon and leaving Sunday. MAybe we'll run into each other....need to have cafe' hats or something:biggrin:

15. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Cafe hats would help indeed! As an alternative, I've sent you email with my cell number so we can meet.

Kevin

16. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Hey Kevin. You and I shot together with Ron R. last week. Great shots! I'm looking forward to next year because (one way or another) I'll have a 500mm.

Did you make it to White Sands? How was it?
    Gary

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

A place high on my list
    and these images kick it up a notch on that list !

18. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Hi Gary! It was nice to meet you during the trip. I'm very pleased with the 500/4 compared to using the 200-400/4VR last year. I think you'll love it. Send me an email before you come next year and we can meet up again.

[/QUOTE=GaryW]Did you make it to White Sands? How was it?[/QUOTE]

I didn't get to shoot the morning. Most of my time was helping the kids sled down the hills:

[​IMG]

I did get a few shots with the sweet sunset light, but unfortunately, I was in the wrong place and the dunes were far from appealing there.

I'm uploading some photos of White Sands to http://kevin.hypershots.com/gallery/0000s52s.

Look forward to next time seeing you.

19. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Nice shots.

20. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Thanks, John! I'm headed back this weekend to hopefully do even better.

Kevin