My TV died, time to buy a new HD TV

I want something between 46" and 50".
Which TV would you recommend?

Please give a model number and why you like it.
Plasma or LCD?
I'm open to suggestions.

Mine's a 42", but I'm very happy with my recent purchase of a Toshiba 42XV540 LCD. It's 1080p, has 4 HDMI ports, 120hz with ClearFrame, and a very matte screen, which are my main reasons for liking it so much. They also make larger sizes of this model. A good TV resource is avsforum.com, lots of info there.

I

iLLMaCK

avs is the best source.
some amazing setups there.

I personally have a 46" dlp, but I wish I had gotten an LCD now for better viewing angles

I'll second Toshiba products. Hitachi is usually at the top of the game and LG "Life's Good" in North America and "Lucky Goldstar" in Asia have some nice lcd tv's. I was told by my tv repair guy to only buy a recognized name brand. When I find something I like on sale I just google the model number and check all the reviews..............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

I bought a 58" Samsung FP-T5884 plasma tv last year. I had planned on buying a LCD, but once I did some research and looking for myself I bought a plasma. I found the black levels better and the motion blur on the LCD was a deal killer for me.

I looked at some of the 120hz LCD sets hoping that the blur would be gone, but it was not even close to plasma to me. I watch alot of hockey so the blur was a big deal for me, it may not be an issue to everyone though.

I would suggest looking at Panasonic, Samsung and Pioneer sets.

I would suggest looking at Panasonic, Samsung and Pioneer sets.
From what I've read, I'd agree with this as well. The Panasonics seem to be the best plasmas out there, eclipsed only by the Pioneer KURO series ($$$$). The Samsungs appear to be the most popular LCD sets these days, but they weren't matte enough for my taste.

Get the SONY KDL52 XBR 4

We have a SONY KDL52 XBR 4 (52") ...... one of the absolute best LCD TVs you can find on the market in terms of colors, sharpness and overall picture quality. The optimum viewing distance for a fully resolved 1080P LCD TV is 7 feet as you can see from this distance calculator chart so I would suggest going for the biggest size you can afford. With the new XBR 8 due soon you may be able to get a very good deal on this TV and I would recommend pitting stores such as Besy Buy, Circuit City, Sears and ABT Electronics against each other to get the best deal. Good luck

DLP - More screen real estate for the price.

LCD - View before you buy. Some people don't like the "screen door" effect.

Plasma - Avoid. Other than darker blacks they are not worth the price.

If the choice is between LCD and Plasma then got with Sony or Samsung LCD. Just keep in mind that Samsung makes a good number of TV's for Sony.

NOthing beats a Panasonic plasma! If you aren't playing video games on it and pausing the screen constantly, a plasma is the way to go. DLP's are excellent if you are sitting right in front of them level, but that's about it. I almost bought an LCD (sony bravia W series, 120Hz), but decided not to. I'll pick up a new tv when I move to my new home.

And what was posted above is absolutely right, Plasma black levels can't be touched by LCD's.

I have a Hitachi 42" Plasma ( The only TV I have ever seen with 3 'ON' buttons ) and a 60" Samsung DLP.

The Hitachi is nice but I still love the bigger DLP.

When I bought the 60" Samsung.. I looked at the LCD's and went back and looked at the DLP.. for about an hour... back and forth. They must have thought I was crazy at Best Buy.

I just could not come off 2X the price for a smaller LCD when I thought the DLP looked just as crisp, clear and bright. I have not regretted the decision to this day.

The 60" looks amazing with an HD signal and even more amazing on Blu-ray. Plus.. the new DLPs do not have bulbs to change like the older ones did.

If this is going to be your main TV and you want big. I would give the DLP a closer look before you buy and use the cash you would have spent on some extra camera stuff!

:smile:

Greg :

Our TV started to die just before Thanksgiving last year, and so we braved "Black Friday" at 0500h to go out for a new TV. We'd studied Consumer Reports (good for the repair info) and looked at various sites online, but once we looked through all of the choices we'd shortlisted in the store, we went with a 46" Samsung LCD.

The side-angle views are actually quite good, the colour's excellent, the blacks are very very good (an area where most people find plasma a bit better, but at a much higher price), the motion blur was minimal, and the price was exceptional. Plasma wasn't an option, as we wouldn't enjoy that continual hum that one gets with a plasma TV at altitude (~7,150' at the house).

Sears - yes, I typed, Sears - had a deep sale on the HDTV that day (lower than advertised, actually), and if you used a Sears credit card, another ten percent cash back. I watched all of the ads for months after the purchase, and it wasn't until late spring that an equivalent model was as low as what we had paid. While BestBuy et al do have good prices, the combination of the low sale price and the cashback at Sears made this the optimal choice (for us). And the cashback, BTW, was available in one month, much better than those scam rebate offers one sees...

Now, the model we purchased is no longer available, but in nine-plus months of use, it's been extremely good. Samsung has several models in the 46" size that appear of similar quality.

BTW, do some thinking about the size of the screen with the available viewing distance. Humongo sized screens do require a minimum viewing distance, and there are several sites online that outline these numbers.

The bottom line is to go out with your spouse and look at the sets. Take a DVD that you've both watched and know along with you, and ask them to hook up a DVD player to the set. The material they show in the stores is tweaked a bit if it's recorded, and the multi-boxes that they send the signal through for umpteen TVs don't always have as clean a feed as ideal. Even on Black Friday, the salespeople at Sears would do this, so there's little excuse for any store not to step when you ask them to demo a TV more thoroughly (and, well, the ones who won't are giving you a very clear message about the kind of support you can expect after the sale, I'd suggest).

YMMV, as they say. :wink:

John P.

NOthing beats a Panasonic plasma! If you aren't playing video games on it and pausing the screen constantly, a plasma is the way to go. DLP's are excellent if you are sitting right in front of them level, but that's about it. I almost bought an LCD (sony bravia W series, 120Hz), but decided not to. I'll pick up a new tv when I move to my new home.

And what was posted above is absolutely right, Plasma black levels can't be touched by LCD's.
I agree with the Panasonic Plasma. I have a 42" and I do play my X-box on it for hours on end. Love it.
Also own a 60'' Sony DLP and it's also a fantastic unit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for your help.
My wife and I are going Monday to look.

One advantage I have is a business associate owns the largest TV/audio store in the area. He's selling me any TV I want at his cost, he'll show me his invoice.

One advantage I have is a business associate owns the largest TV/audio store in the area. He's selling me any TV I want at his cost, he'll show me his invoice.
Greg :

Fantastic ! While money isn't the most important thing, only the village idiot thinks money is unimportant...

And having your friend available should mean you'll get the kind of expert assistance that you would want to have. Win-win, all around.

Let us know how this works out, eh ?

John P.

We have a SONY KDL52 XBR 4 (52") ...... one of the absolute best LCD TVs you can find on the market in terms of colors, sharpness and overall picture quality. The optimum viewing distance for a fully resolved 1080P LCD TV is 7 feet as you can see from this distance calculator chart so I would suggest going for the biggest size you can afford. With the new XBR 8 due soon you may be able to get a very good deal on this TV and I would recommend pitting stores such as Besy Buy, Circuit City, Sears and ABT Electronics against each other to get the best deal. Good luck
great tv
but.... the screen is TOO SHINY
it reflects EVERYTHING in your room
and that is not good
a matte screen is far better for 99% of rooms

John,

Funny you should say Sears..

I got my Hitachi 42" Plasma from Sears as well. I received an email about a one day sale for the 42" for 799.00. A price I have yet to see for any 42" 1080 since.

I called all the local stores and all stores were out but one and the only reason it was still available was someone had bought it and could not fit it in their car. They had to do a return at customer pickup and it was still sitting there, but the inventory had not been updated and it was listed as none available. The guy in electronics ( and the person in customer pickup of course ) were the only people who knew it was there.

So.. I FLEW down to pick it up and did the same 10% off thing by putting it on the Sears credit card, then paid it off when the bill came.

So.. ya.. sometimes Sears will definately surprise you.

Don

Greg :

Sears - yes, I typed, Sears - had a deep sale on the HDTV that day (lower than advertised, actually), and if you used a Sears credit card, another ten percent cash back. I watched all of the ads for months after the purchase, and it wasn't until late spring that an equivalent model was as low as what we had paid. While BestBuy et al do have good prices, the combination of the low sale price and the cashback at Sears made this the optimal choice (for us). And the cashback, BTW, was available in one month, much better than those scam rebate offers one sees...

John P.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greg :

Fantastic ! While money isn't the most important thing, only the village idiot thinks money is unimportant...

And having your friend available should mean you'll get the kind of expert assistance that you would want to have. Win-win, all around.

Let us know how this works out, eh ?

John P.
I'll do that John. Being an electrical contractor, I've sent plenty of customers his way for custom stereo and surround sound work. Many have bought complete systems including TV's. He's made this offer several times, I'm finally taking advantage of it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom