My two lens travel kit

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I just tested my 2 lens travel kit during a weekend in Monterey Bay, and feel it was a success. I loaded my backpack with the 28-70/2.8 and the 80-200/2.8 AF ED, and between them, they satisfied my every need.

I used The Beast for...

people pics
    original.

scapes
    original.

architecture
    original.

flowers
    original.

and tender moments
    original.

The 80-200 took care of...

birds
    original.

beasts
    original.

candids
    original.

action
    original.

and tender moments
    original.

I don't think there was a single situation where I felt I needed something longer or wider than the range covered by these 2 lenses.

2. Nice shots all.

I was just down there myself. We spent a night at the Highlands Inn with the kids. Nothing more fun than a romantic sea view room and two toddlers irritating the daylights out of the old grump downstairs! :)

I tend to carry a similar set: the 17-55 and the 70-200 VR. I find I am also bringing along my second camera with either the 35 or the 50 1.4 on it.

3. Hi, Neighbor! Wasn't it delightful in Carmel? It had to be 35 degrees cooler than Almaden Valley. It was tough dragging ourselves back on Monday.

4. These 2 lenses really took care of all the situations. For the flower with the beast was that taken without adding anything to the lens.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great stuff Frank. My camera bag is pretty much set up the same. I am carrying "the beast" and my 70-200mm f/2.8 along with some odds and ends accessories. For most shooting instances, it works out just fine!

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ha! I find that a lot of my long range candids are of people taking pictures too. I guess it's some sort of search for affirmation, eh?

7. Actually, my specialty is pictures of people in distress :twisted:.

You have to go down a very steep slope to get to the beach at Carmel. People tend to skip down it...

[​IMG]

But the return trip is a back breaker!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, there's always an exception to every rule. This kid literally flew up the hill.

[​IMG]

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    And a classic Superman flight pose at that. Nice trigger response!

9. Is it just my imagination or are you having a great time shooting with your camera???

Embellishing the joie de vivre several times over???

Nice shots all.
    The "action" is my favorite. I'm wondering if her timing on the shot was as good as yours.

10. Hehehe. I guess I did a bad job of hiding my enthusiasm :roll:.

On DPR, my tag line is Uncle Frank, Dilettante Appassionato... which translates to passionate amateur. Something about the hobby connects me with my inner child, and despite having taken over 50,000 digitial images, I'm thrilled every time I find I've taken a good picture. Go figure.

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great series of shots Frank.

I tend to carry three lenses in my light outdoor kit,

my 12-24, the 24-120, and either the 180mm prime or the 300 AF-S depending on the bird situation.

My low light kit for theatre is the 50mm 1.4 and the 180 2.8 and talk about a light package, wow, I love walking in with just a nova 1 lowepro bag that used to carry my 5700 and 5000.

And you are having to much fun, I need to go somewhere next week for a few days, hmmm, maybe the Ozarks, my 12-24 needs a workout.

Great shots Frank, your couple shots are particularly good. Bravo

Wade

12. Hi Frank, your shots are great and you are obviously making good use of the two lenses in question. Good job all but my favorite is the BBQ guy. Colors and expression are excellent.