My update, magazines and resolution..(3 images)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Jul 7, 2005.

1. One of the very first images I took with the D2X was this one below -
    - posted before in the Landscapes Gallery :
    [​IMG]

Well, although I'm not fond of cropping, it was pleasing to see that this image, cropped in half, made it as the gloss cover of MetroBeat magazine. What is amazing is the absolute clarity of the image in print on an A4 magazine, despite the crop and some resizing....Gosh the the D2X is amazing !
    [​IMG]

This month saw the publication of the disturbing story on the kids of Rockworld which you folk got to see some time ago in the Photojournalism section.

These were all taken with the D2H.

The fascinating and somewhat parodoxical thing about this for me (in comparison to the D2X image) was that at the very last moment, and on deadline, I lost the DVD with all the processed RAW files converted to TIFFS and fixed in Photoshop.

The only files I could find were the low res 72dpi JPEGS that are posted on this very site! The designer said he thought they might just be OK with some clever upscaling. In print, although admittedly they are not large because there are so many of them (there are two more pages), they look sharp and crystal clear!!! All of this from images posted on Nikon Cafe (which saved the day)

Subsequently, but too late, I found the disk...but it does make one think that you can actually get away with a lot less than one thinks when it comes to images for publication - certainly a lot less than some of the MP junkies think. Here it is - my pic is a bit shaky from camera movement and being in a hurry, but I'm sure you'll get the gist. The proof is in the printing!
    [​IMG]

Best
    Peter

2. Peter:

As a photographic hobbyist, I've never really given much thought to the resolution needs for publication, but as a technology geek, I find this fascinating. I never would have thought that the low-res versions of your files would have done so well!

Mostly, I'm just happy that you found your original DVD and that we got a sneak preview of your efforts.

Please continue to use Nikon Cafe as a convenient backup for your work :).

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Excellent work peter. Is there an online version of your magazine? I would love to read it.

Thanks,

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent post Peter (so what's new....;-)). I love your cover, and the tale of the inside pictures is really hard to believe. It certainly does show that MP aren't the be all and end all.

Thanks,

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Peter,
    I am so happy you were able to recover your extrodinary journalism right here on the cafe.

Very well done as we have all responded. You are an exceptional person.
    Brovo Sir.

It is my pleasure to have your aquaintenance.

6. Thanks for the comments all --- Patrick, sorry it's not online, but if you give me a mail address, I'll happily post you some!
    Peter

7. Thanks Gale - and a big thanks to the Cafe for being there!!!