My version of a variety...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. I really enjoy looking at the posts here at the Cafe. We have some absolutely outstanding shooters here. They give me a wonderful goal to shoot for!

I do like posting pics although they are not nearly Cafe caliper. I went to the lake where the small flock of snow geese are and shot these:

Not the best shot but I liked the colors as they reflected in the lake.
    43933490-L.

I couldn't get the buck and pheasant to both look at me at the same time...
    43933496-L.

Reflections of a snow goose
    43933485-L.

A damaged wing snow goose. This one follows the flock around by running while the others fly. Quite a sight to see. It's sad because it's injured but at the same time it's good to know that it didn't just lay down and give up. It follows the flock...
    43934090-L.

All are full frame shots taken with the 80-400 VR on a monopod. I really got to get a more stable platform... :rolleyes:

2. Jim,
    it's nice to see more of your pictures, I always used to look forward to your Canada goose shots on NTF. Your damaged wing goose here reminded me of your little hobbled guy, and the resilience of animals.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

First of all, these are good pictures. Second, there is no 'Cafe caliber'. It is true that we have some great shooters here, and yes, some of us do get a little competitive every now and then (just a little though :rolleyes:), but this ain't a contest. It is a place where we can share our passion, pictures, questions, answers, and general camaraderie. :wink:

Post away, please. If I didn't post my shots because there are others that post prettier ones, it would be pretty depressing. :smile:

4. Jim Very nicely done these are fine photos on their won merit, I like the snow geese reflections and a buck and a ringneck in the same shot how cool

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I hate it when Frank beats to the punch
    :biggrin:

Last two are really nice and to get a buck and pheasant in the same shot, Whoa nelly what I wouldn't give for that opportunity!!

Please always continue to post and comment away otherwise how could I possibly learn

:wink:

6. Thanks Puzzle! Last time we saw our hobbled buddy the growth had fallen off his foot and his foot was then at abut a 30 degree angle as opposed to the 90 degree initial angle. He's no longer at the pond so we figure he flew off with the rest of them - just like he was supposed to do! :wink: I hope he comes back in the spring so I can get another shot of him all grown up.

7. I have the utmost respect for you Frank but I beg to differ with you on this. This place is heads and shoulders above any other photography forum I have visited. The people here are top shelf - period. To put it in a different term, the caliper of people and photographs here are better then any other forum I have visited. All of you "top shelfer's" should be quite proud of that. Every single one of you share your knowledge, experience, shooting venues and great photos with all of us. Those of us that aspire to take great photos admire all those qualities and in turn, you make us better. Isn't that what it's all about? I think so!

Don't worry; I'll keep posting. Heck - I like the limelight as much as anyone else! :biggrin: But you have to admit; some of the shots posted freely here at the Cafe are National Geographic quality and beyond. And regardless of our geographical location, they are mostly taken in our own backyards. I don't know about anyone else, but that gives me the motivation to go out and try to get those keepers. Isn't that one of the reasons you are here? It certainly is one of the reasons I am here! :biggrin:

Thanks for the nice comments.

8. Thanks Mike. There were three ringnecks and I followed them around for several hundred yards hoping they would take flight. But all they did was run... Maybe next time!

9. Thanks Ben.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I 100% agree with what you say below, and I guess I didn't say what I meant very clearly (now that's never happened before :biggrin:). What I meant was, while we have great shooters, not all of us are, and that is OK. We should all post our shots and listen to the feedback we get here or else we won't grow to our maximum potential.

I believe that we are on the same wavelength. :wink:

Regards,

11. I like the snow geese shots too, Jim! They almost look like decoys.

I've come to really appreciate the postings here in this forum especially. I'm amazed at some of the shots posted. But, rather than intimidate me, I've learned to let them motivate me to improve my technique, make me think about what I'm doing as I'm taking the shot and strive to achieve the same level of quality as the postings here. I've seen marked improvement in my own shots, which is sometimes difficult to do. I've still got a long way to go to reach the status of many on here but I'm having fun in the process and I won't give up!

I also kinda like the competitiveness that Frank referred to. It's all in good fun and maybe you've noticed my running joke with Ben about crawling under the rock. His shots lately are the ones that motivate me to improve the most!! Gotta get myself out from under the rock. :wink:

Keep posting!!!! :biggrin:

12. I believe you are correct! :biggrin: (Except that you fit into that exceptional list of shooters I referenced...) :wink:

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shots Jim especially the last two.

14. First off let me say I really like your pictures Jim. Second I feel the same way as you at times. But like you say this is a great forum and what a way to learn. I am always amazed at how good the photographers are here but what impresses me more is how helpful all are unlike another forum we all know. Keep posting please